Virtual Banking?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
What do you guys/gals think about banking on a virtual platform? IE. Suppose that to do all banking I always fired up my Ubuntu distro in Virtualbox, did my banking, and then shutdown the virtual machine. Do you think that it makes the user experience more secure? Obviously there is a long wait time for the virtual machine to boot, and all that, but do the security benefits (if any) out weight this?

Note: Linux isn't super secure...its just less targeted

Comments

• wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If someone is monitoring your windows, will he/she be able to see/record what you are doing in the virtual machine?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It would be a little better than running everything on the host OS but it isn't infallible for the reasons wd40 said.

To make it secure (assuming the VM package is correctly written and you can't break out) you'd have to have at least two VMs. One for banking and one for everything else you do online. You never use the host OS directly.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suppose it would be slightly more secure, but I wouldn't go through all the hassle. Honestly, I'm far less concerned about how safe I personally am with any transactions that I conduct with any financial institution online. Same with any transactions I conduct by making purchases online. Instead, I'm far more concerned about how the other end of the transaction is protecting my credentials and/or money.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sounds to me to be a solution in search of a problem.

I'm no security guy, but it seems to me that the weakest link(s) in any system will be wherever there are people involved. When dealing with any financial institution online or offline, there are so many places where people are involved that doing all banking transactions from a virtualized OS seems irrelevant when considered in terms of the big picture.

Now, if you said something along the line of "is there a security benefit to doing all of my downloading and running of .com and .exe files from a virtualized session?", I'd probably agree....

MS
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, if you don't want to do your banking online in your host OS because it might be compromised, well, how secure is a VM running in that?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the feedback all. There are alot of valid points here and I guess looking at it quickly it may seem like a good idea for those that aren't very computer savey but like most of you pointed out....it wouldn't help those that A) don't know anything about using a PC in the first place or B) on a machine that is already compromised and listening on the host machine.

I guess there really is no "secure" way for non-technical people to really bank, aside from user education.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Anyone hacked my bank account I would hope they would take one look at the balance, feel sorry for me and donate something.
    Kam.
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Anyone hacked my bank account I would hope they would take one look at the balance, feel sorry for me and donate something.

+1 however, there are some good points on how secure are we really?
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1