What Does Oracle’s Buyout of Sun Mean to Open Source?

2»

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It was on NPR's Market Place Morning Report. It seems the European Commission is really getting hung up on what happens with MySQL. here is the only thing I could find but it was not the story I heard this morning (though they were similar).

Commission may block Oracle-Sun deal | Marketplace From American Public Media

How can I neg-rep all of Europe?

MS
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »

MS

LOL, That is the truth... icon_lol.gif
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    eMeS wrote: »

MS

That deserves positive rep. ROFL...
    Good luck to all!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    now that's going to make things much more interesting ! what's next ?!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MySQL needs to be spun off to someone who the EU feels will at the very least help it keep its place in the market so that consumers' choices are not negatively impacted and competition is not decreased. I'm not sure who that would be, though.
    MySQL needs to be spun off to someone who the EU feels will at the very least help it keep its place in the market so that consumers' choices are not negatively impacted and competition is not decreased. I'm not sure who that would be, though.

Most likely, it will be spun back to MySQL AB, a Swedish company I believe, which is what is was before Sun acquired it. Basically, Sun changed very little about MySQL AB and really let it continue to exist as it's own quasi-independent entity.

I have a close contact at Sun who worked on the original acquisition.

MS
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059

Microsoft Eurupe. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    EU Objects to Oracle, Sun Merger - FOXBusiness.com

Another story that says basically the same thing as earlier....

I'll add, given almost no drop in Sun's share price today on this news, the market expects the merger to eventually be approved. Were this to be flat-out denied I would expect a huge drop in Sun's share price and that Sun would as a company largely be left on life support.

This will also likely result in more poaching of Sun customers by IBM, HP, et al. given that sometimes this time of year companies are looking to spend remaining budget funds....they're really making it too easy on the IBM sales guys to push their hardware over Sun hardware....

MS