**New Computer Build, Windows install is hanging**

CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
So I finally recieved some good hardware that didn't catch on fire. I put my computer together and have it up and running just fine. however, now the problem seems to be that the windows install is hung at "Starting windows" Screen of my install. Does anyone know why this would happen?

I have never had this happen before. I checked all the defaults for the mobo to make sure that I loaded everything correctly. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Ubuntu installs with no problem, but windows is not. Does it matter that my CD/DVD ROM is using SATA2 and my Hard Drive is using SATA4? Again, Ubuntu installs with no problems.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I finally recieved some good hardware that didn't catch on fire. I put my computer together and have it up and running just fine. however, now the problem seems to be that the windows install is hung at "Starting windows" Screen of my install. Does anyone know why this would happen?

I have never had this happen before. I checked all the defaults for the mobo to make sure that I loaded everything correctly. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Ubuntu installs with no problem, but windows is not. Does it matter that my CD/DVD ROM is using SATA2 and my Hard Drive is using SATA4? Again, Ubuntu installs with no problems.

Because it is windows icon_lol.gif

No seriously what version of windows are you using? Is it a legit disc? Do you have another disc? How long does it sit at that screen?
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    yeah, it's legit 64-bit version, I also tried another legit 32-bit version and I get the same thing. I think the longest I let it sit at that screen was like 20 minutes or so. I haven't timed it or anything. I just know from previous installs that it only took, at the most, 1 minute or so before moving on. So, I am not sure why it is doing this. The only things I have installed are:

2x2 gigs of ram
    500 gig hard drive
    pci-e video card, no onboard video
    cpu and cpu fan

I have tried to disable all non-essential devices in bios, like the usb controllers and firewire stuff, like the windows support page says.

hmmm, don't know what to do...
    yeah, it's legit 64-bit version, I also tried another legit 32-bit version and I get the same thing. I think the longest I let it sit at that screen was like 20 minutes or so. I haven't timed it or anything. I just know from previous installs that it only took, at the most, 1 minute or so before moving on. So, I am not sure why it is doing this. The only things I have installed are:

2x2 gigs of ram
    500 gig hard drive
    pci-e video card, no onboard video
    cpu and cpu fan

I have tried to disable all non-essential devices in bios, like the usb controllers and firewire stuff, like the windows support page says.

hmmm, don't know what to do...

Not sure. You could start unplugging things from the board and see if it boots. I would try the ram.

Also are you against running gns3 on linux?
    knwminus wrote: »
    Not sure. You could start unplugging things from the board and see if it boots. I would try the ram.

Also are you against running gns3 on linux?

yeah, i just tried letting it sit at that screen for about 40 minutes and still nothing. I guess the next step would be try 1 stick of ram and then move on from there.

I am not against running gns3/dynamips on linux, however it just dawned on me that if i did set up my computer on linux, how would i be able to remotely manage it? Gotomypc does not support ubuntu, which is a huge let down for me :[
    yeah, i just tried letting it sit at that screen for about 40 minutes and still nothing. I guess the next step would be try 1 stick of ram and then move on from there.

I am not against running gns3/dynamips on linux, however it just dawned on me that if i did set up my computer on linux, how would i be able to remotely manage it? Gotomypc does not support ubuntu, which is a huge let down for me :[

SSH
    Setup OpenSSH Server on Ubuntu Linux :: the How-To Geek

openvpn
    Welcome to OpenVPN

vncserver
    HOWTO - Linux VNCserver

I think I will use all 3 at some point. But tightvnc is the easiest to use if you have a static ip.
    knwminus wrote: »
    SSH
    Setup OpenSSH Server on Ubuntu Linux :: the How-To Geek

openvpn
    Welcome to OpenVPN

vncserver
    HOWTO - Linux VNCserver

I think I will use all 3 at some point. But tightvnc is the easiest to use if you have a static ip.

Those all sound good, and I've heard about them, however, I know for sure that I will be able to use gotomypc from my work to access my lab, because it tunnels over port 80 and our network intrusion guys are blind to it. But, I don't like the idea of trying one of the above techniques unless they can be tunneled over port 80. Even then, I would want someone else to try it out so its their job on the line, not mine :]

Either way, I need to find out what is causing this problem of windows hanging during my install. I know for sure that my computer will be strong enough to run the CCIE R&S Lab on my workstation if I am running windows xp 64 bit. Anybody else have any ideas on how to fix this?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does safe mode load?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not really sure what to do at this point.
    It may be time to just buy a Dell and get back to studying icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've encountered this problem many times. Some of the solutions:

Flash the BIOS.

Run MEMTEST on the RAM.

Try installing with one stick of RAM, then the other. Possibly try different slots.

Try installing with minimum components hooked up. I've seen this problem several times with add-in USB and Firewire cards and card readers installed before installation.

Swap out components and cables. I've seen installations fail with certain brands of Sata DVD drives attached. Try another video card, HD, DVD drive. Swap out sata (IDE) cables ect... Try an IDE DVD drive.

Check temp of CPU to make sure heatsink is properly seated.

Try another keyboard and mouse, PS2 if possible. I've seen these halt installations.

Don't hook up the Ethernet cable until after installation.

Try another installation disks. I've had defective disks fresh from the package. Scratches can cause problems too.

***Probably the most important*** - Make sure you perform a long format. If your using Vista to install, then find another method such as KillDisk, Acronis. Any program that tests for bad sectors. (Can't believe M$ left this off for Vista Installation).

Sounds crazy, but as a last resort, try another PSU.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone seems to be forgetting the one thing you really should verify: make sure the disc is clean. 95% of the time I have seen this issue it something wrong with the disc. The other 5% it is usually something about drivers. Remove and turn off support for everything you do not need: remove any modem or NICs, turn off USB support, take out any PCI cards. Another option might be to make your own install disc with the drivers using DISM. If the disc is clean, the first thing I would suspect is USB. The fact that Linux OSes will install tells me you are not having a memory issue.
    yeah, this does seem to be taking away from my study time, almost a month or so. but just on the practical side. I still have been watching IPX and IE R&S VoD, along with reading some books. So, not all time has been a waste!

As for the computer, I have a PS2 keyboard hooked up. This morning I will be playing the memory swap game to see if it is the memory. I mean, it can only be a couple of things, video card, keyboard?, cpu, memory, dvd/cd rom, or hard drive. If I can't get this thing to work by tomorrow it is going to the local computer shop. It has been fun to troubleshoot, but I really don't have time to waste on troubleshooting this computer anymore. I'll let the hardware experts do that. Since I am back on mids again, it's time to start labbing it up. Thanks for everyones help with this!
    Just figured it out, it was the memory. i had 2 memory sticks installed. I just took out one of them and it fired right up. i have a feeling that, in the words of ice cube "today is gonna be a good day."
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just figured it out, it was the memory. i had 2 memory sticks installed. I just took out one of them and it fired right up. i have a feeling that, in the words of ice cube "today is gonna be a good day."

So you were able to install and use Ubuntu with no issues witht the same memory config that did not work to even install Windows?
    12 routers later

11 External BGP connections

3 quad port nics totalling for 12 network connections to external layer 3 switches

CPU holding steady at %20

CPU temp is about 49C

Let the CCIE lab preparation begin!!