Options

Thoughts after passing

joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello folks,
Just wanted to share a very small bit of info after passing the exam. First, I found this site and the contributions from its members helpful, so thanks to those who have posted over the years.

The study material I used was the Sybex study guide, refrence guide and the Ucertify practice tests. Looking back, those two books gave just enough info but was in my opinion not enough. So if you're shopping books, please look around a bit, a 3rd piece of refrence material will help.

Wikipedia is you're friend:) It made up for what the books lacked. I need to understand the why of things, surface knowledge isn't enough:)

The testing software from Ucertify is still a giant "?" in my mind. It's well polished with lots of tests and testing options. However, the questions still have me wondering... There are a lot of questions asking what tool would you use to perform this attack or that attack. (most tools marked as correct answers were out of date tools). It asked questions about specific IDS's both Linux (Snort) and Windows versions. It asked questions about Network connectivity such as "What size Ohm resistor to use on RG-8 cable". Don't get me wrong, there are some very good questions on the test software as well. Its just that in retrospect I spent a lot of time answering questions that were shakey as to their relation to Security material.

Having only seen one version of the Security+ exam I have no idea what other types of questions are on it so maybe the plethra of odd questions I got from Ucertify are applicable. Do spend time shopping for test software and ask around for opinions.

In closing, study, study study... make sure you truly understand the material. Don't glaze over anything, the smallest things are important, as they usually are. Starting at the 25% mark into the test I was sure I was going to have to take it again. At the 50% mark I was positive I was going to have to re-take the test. At the 75% mark I was running out of time!
When I was done I had 8 minutes to review...

I got an 825, I was glad to have passed but disappointed in myself. Just passing isn't enough. Sure I can say some questions were hard to understand and I was asked things I havent seen before, but those are just excuses.

Study folks, and when you think you got it, study some more.:)

Comments

• Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!

Feels good, doesn't it!? Study, study, study is a lesson hard-learned by me also.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Congrats!

Here is a helpful site I found:
    What is Plenum Cable?
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations. 825 is a great score and nothing to be disappointed about.

Thanks for the comprehensive post.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gratz dude! nice feedback as well. I agree, wikipedia does help sometimes to get surface knowledge, but remember the material is not always 100% accurate on there, so be careful with your resources.

I always write out the exam criteria on a spreadsheet and tick it off as I go when I feel comfortable on it, have i seen the cbt nugget that covers it, have I read the book passage which helps me. I had 90% of it ticked before i took my exam, was happy with the result.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Congrats and that's a really good score. Good Luck on you next Cert!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    joe48184 wrote: »
    Hello folks,
    Just wanted to share a very small bit of info after passing the exam. First, I found this site and the contributions from its members helpful, so thanks to those who have posted over the years.

The study material I used was the Sybex study guide, refrence guide and the Ucertify practice tests. Looking back, those two books gave just enough info but was in my opinion not enough. So if you're shopping books, please look around a bit, a 3rd piece of refrence material will help.

Wikipedia is you're friend:) It made up for what the books lacked. I need to understand the why of things, surface knowledge isn't enough:)

The testing software from Ucertify is still a giant "?" in my mind. It's well polished with lots of tests and testing options. However, the questions still have me wondering... There are a lot of questions asking what tool would you use to perform this attack or that attack. (most tools marked as correct answers were out of date tools). It asked questions about specific IDS's both Linux (Snort) and Windows versions. It asked questions about Network connectivity such as "What size Ohm resistor to use on RG-8 cable". Don't get me wrong, there are some very good questions on the test software as well. Its just that in retrospect I spent a lot of time answering questions that were shakey as to their relation to Security material.

Having only seen one version of the Security+ exam I have no idea what other types of questions are on it so maybe the plethra of odd questions I got from Ucertify are applicable. Do spend time shopping for test software and ask around for opinions.

In closing, study, study study... make sure you truly understand the material. Don't glaze over anything, the smallest things are important, as they usually are. Starting at the 25% mark into the test I was sure I was going to have to take it again. At the 50% mark I was positive I was going to have to re-take the test. At the 75% mark I was running out of time!
    When I was done I had 8 minutes to review...

I got an 825, I was glad to have passed but disappointed in myself. Just passing isn't enough. Sure I can say some questions were hard to understand and I was asked things I havent seen before, but those are just excuses.

Study folks, and when you think you got it, study some more.:)

Congrats and thanks for the write up!
  • Options
    flav2000flav2000 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That's a pretty good score.

I found the exam objectives was helping to identifying weak areas myself.

That said. congrats again!
  • Options
    Tin32Tin32 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice score. Congrats!
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats and thanks for passing on your thoughts. once the MCSE is out of the way i'm hitting this one next :)
  • Options
    BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Congrats on the pass!
    and once more thanks for the tip mate....
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1