Am I the only one in college for networking who is having trouble with math but...

jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
Is having a easy time with the core classes? CCNA-2 and Windows Admin 1 have been a piece of cake thus far, but I am totally struggling with this beginning algebra crap. And yes subnetting has been easy, cause it makes sense and I'll use it, but this algebra crap? Even if I do pass I'll forget it all in a month, lol
Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
HTC students encouraged to join :)

Comments

• ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To be quite honest, the lowest grade i have gotten in college is a "C", and it was in algebra. I have been floating through all the core classes like the Cisco classes and Server classes and the CompTIA classes.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Ive always had trouble with math, but IT courses in college have always been terribly easy for me.

The only class I failed in college (or ever) was Philosophy 101. It was the biggest waste of time id ever experienced in my life and I can not fathom how they build entire degrees around that tripe.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some of the math classes I had while I earned my degree consumed a lot more study time than the other classes. Probably a problem of both my lack of math skills and lack of interest in the subject combined to make it more difficult. I managed to get solid grade and keep my GPA up but I had to bust my rear week after week and it was really a miserable time while in that class.
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    ok sounds like everyone else is kinda in the same boat. lol too bad we all couldn't just IT pros with just certs and not a full degree(not that you can't but a degree in addition to helps) and not bother wasting our time with classes we'll never use in the real world. Luckily, my dads gonna give me a hand with the **** in a couple days, I can't wait till this semester is over. I got a sociology, and a ethics class next semester in addition to my ccna3 windows admin 2 and xhtml classes. damn can't wait to finish college, but i've only been in it 6 months almost. another couple years to go.... Need to start linux by fall at the latest,to graduate at a decent time. But it will be a big load unless they let me test out of ccna 4 next fall(hopefully will be a ccna by then anyway) Also thinking B.A after, but Ive kinda wondered, how many general classes will I have to take compared to a AAS generally?
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    ziggi138 wrote: »
    To be quite honest, the lowest grade i have gotten in college is a "C", and it was in algebra. I have been floating through all the core classes like the Cisco classes and Server classes and the CompTIA classes.

Same here. Pretty much B+ and A's all though my degree.. With the exception of C's in Stats and Algerbra haha. Never was strong at Math but doesnt matter, Probably because it didnt interest me in the slightest :)

Just Remember "C's get Degree's!"

Keep at it. Rev.
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    the only class that i've had problems with is goverment i've try to take the same goverment class 2 times and on both i made a D is not interesting at all, politics doesnt seem to be one of my strongets subjects, i dont remember ever making lower than a b on math, math shoul be strong subject for IT people specially when it comes to budgeting lol
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    come on, it's part of the fun icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Revenue wrote: »
    Same here. Pretty much B+ and A's all though my degree.. With the exception of C's in Stats and Algebra haha. Never was strong at Math but doesnt matter, Probably because it didn't interest me in the slightest :)

Just Remember "C's get Degree's!"

Keep at it. Rev.

This is how it was for me as well. I mostly had A & B in all of my college classes. That harsh Math class gave me a C+ icon_redface.gif In another year I will be going for my Bachelor degree and I am not looking forward to more math classes.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I always found math to be a difficult topic for me. I will have to be taking an intermediate algebra class next semester, I'm not looking forward to it.

This has been my first year back to school in several years, the last math class I took was a beginner algebra class about 5 years ago, I got an A in the class, but only because I split the class up to 2 nights per week.

If your college gives you the opportunity to take the math class in something like twice per week for 2 hours segments, then I do suggest trying it. It exposes you to the lectures and topic twice per week in smaller doses, I think it helped me.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wish I had done more math earlier on. I couldn't find a useful application for it at the time, so I never really got into it. However, now I'm more interested in things like cryptography, and I wish I had a better foundation. I'm going to have to review Calc I and then start the real journey...
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hate Math too, but I have heard that teachers want you to gain the logic, and critical thinking skills that are taught in algebra, and they’re less worried about if you memorize the formulas.

I’m taking algebra online, and having my dad help me I failed it the first time.

I had one math teacher that made all the tests open book, and open note, well that was great until the midterms were administrated. She made the midterms 500 points or something, and you could only use just one page of notes, and that was just enough for your formulas.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    And I thought I had it rough having to take Calculus as an Social Studies Education major...
    Good luck to all!
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    and you could only use just one page of notes,.

This is why god invented size 4 font.
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Math and I got along just fine until calculus. I memorized what I had to to pass the classes that used it, but a lot of things cease to make sense for me at that point.

Depending on what you end up working on, those algebra concepts may end up being important. I would have been SOL in most of my college's programming courses without them.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I've always liked math, and I've got a good math background (took Calc I & II & Applied Linear Algebra), but that was mphumphteen years ago and I don't remember squat. I remember the symbols and knowing that you can use certain formulas to calculate the area under a curve or forces on a roller coaster or rocket trajectories (I had some creative teachers), but I haven't the foggiest idea how to actually DO any of that anymore.

I did take a Discrete Structures (light discrete math) class as one of the prerequisites for the program I'm in now, but we unfortunately got bogged down and didn't get through the whole syllabus...there were a few folks in the class that kept us going over binary/hex math over and over, and we lost oodles of time trying to get them up to speed. I'm all for making sure that folks are understanding what's going on in a class, but if the rest of the class is trying to move on, do it during office hours please, and don't make me miss out of 40% of the syllabus! GAH! Anywho, I'm going to have to teach myself some discrete math, and REteach myself some college algebra & calculus for some of my upcoming classes. Joy. icon_cheers.gificon_rolleyes.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have never been great at math because I didn't have an interest in it in middle and high school and it caused me problems in college. I always found more fun in programming games on my TI-83 than doing Calculus. In hindsight I wish that I would have invested more time in math but I'd probably be a real engineer right now rather than working in IT.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Math is one of those subjects that can be impossible if you don't get the right teacher. You guys should shop around a little...
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Math was among my weakest. Barely passed my exams. I also scraped through a couple other topics. Man, am I glad it's all over... icon_neutral.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Loved sentential calculus, predicate calculus, and Boolean algebra, but didn't care for the rest. And I had to wait for college to discover those.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I like math but I've always had trouble with it. I'm taking physics now and I'm not doing so well in it but atleast I'll pass the class in order to get my Associates. I'll have to retake to get my Bachelors degree. I can totally understand how all the computer classes are easy. I also believe that not being interested in the class along with having bad skills could really hurt someone's grade in the subject.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□