Options

could share same ip address on internet?

mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
hi everybody

i just pinging to different websites and I got same ip address from 3 websites
ÇáÚÇáãíÉ ÇáÇæáì ááÇÓÊËãÇÑÇÊ ÇáãÇáíÉ , FIREWALL - Web Design & Porgramming - Homepage , ParseghianCo Jewellry :: Homepage
how DNS resolving domain names if all of them using same ip address ???

Comments

• Options
    redliviuredliviu Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Well, because is for resolving domain names to ip addresses, multiple domain names can be associated with the same ip, doing new A records in DNS server or CNAME aliases.
    On the other side the web server hosts multiple websites and serves pages based on the destination site header also called virtualhosts so thats why ISP's can host thousands of sites, not being tied by the numbers of ip to server or nic relationship.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Great explanation. I actually wondered about this as well. Now my question is, which website do you get when you enter the IP address in your web browser. e.g. http://145.10.32.1

How does it know which site to go to?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HTTP includes the domain name that you're connecting to, so the web server can respond accordingly. If you just connect to the IP, you'll get the default site, or no site, depending on how the web server is configured.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I am trying to remember this IP address, its a great way to determine if you have dsl or dns errors with your web conection. Browse to htttttp://66.102.11.99/ , its also a pingable website (take out the extra ttts, techexams site converted the ip to dns name !! ) :)
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!