Microsoft's commonsense tips

2»

Comments

• ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    I had a practice question that asked this (I got it wrong):

A "globally unique identifier" or GHID is a 128 bit number that is guaranteed to be unique. GHIDs are assigned to objects when they are created (in Active Directory). The GHID never changes, even if you move or rename the object. Applications can store the GHID of an object and use it to retreive that object regardless of its current DN.

~Obdurate~
    Not so much a Microsoft tip, but the fact I keep getting it wrong on my practice tests:

Volume mount points are supported on NTFS volumes only. The volume that is being mounted can be formatted with any other supported file system.

The steps are:

1) In Windows Explorer, create a folder on an NTFS volume to serve as the volume mount point.

2) In Disk Management, locate the volume for which you want to modify the drive letter or path information

3) Right click the volume and select Change Drive Letter And Path.

4) In the Change Drive Letter And Paths For New Volume dialog box, click ADD to create a new mounted volume.

5) In the Add Drive Letter Or Path dialog box, click Mount In The Following Empty NTFS Folder and enter the path to the volume mount point

It reminds me very much of mapped drives.

~Obdurate~
    Posting this only because I did not know it could be done this way

How to connect directly to a shared printer using the command prompt:

At a command prompt type net use lptx [URL="file://\\print_server\printer_name"]\\print_server\printer_name[/URL], where X (emphasized for noticability) is the number of the printer port.

Also the net use command is the only method for making a connection to a network printer from client computers running MS-DOS or IBM OS/2 with Microsoft LAN Manager client software installed.

~Obdurate~

PS I apologize for missing the past two days -- root canal and car problems distracted me.
  • jayITjayIT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Obdurate wrote: »
    Posting this only because I did not know it could be done this way

How to connect directly to a shared printer using the command prompt:

At a command prompt type net use lptx [URL="file://\\print_server\printer_name"]\\print_server\printer_name[/URL], where X (emphasized for noticability) is the number of the printer port.

Also the net use command is the only method for making a connection to a network printer from client computers running MS-DOS or IBM OS/2 with Microsoft LAN Manager client software installed.

~Obdurate~

PS I apologize for missing the past two days -- root canal and car problems distracted me.

Good tips. I enjoyed reading through them.
    Restoring to a restore point affects the Windows Registry and some system application files. The restoration does NOT affect user created documents and data.

~Obdurate~
    I have found this is a common question in my test prep questions:

If you don't see a Security tab on the properties dialog box for your files and folders make sure your partition is formatted with NTFS. If it is then check if you have turned off Simple File Sharing.

~Obdurate~
    This is another answer to a few prep test questions I keep getting:

Hardware profiles are useful when you have one or more hardware devices that you want to disable sometimes and then enable other times. Instead of using Device Manager to enable and then disable device each time, you can instead create a profile in which the devices you want disable (or enabled), and then just the correct profile when you start the computer.

I usually see this in questions that ask about saving power on a laptop.

~Obdurate~
    Right now I am reviewing for my upcoming test and my wife bought for me the Exam Cram 2 XP Pro Second Edition. Now in this book, on page 67, is a rather wonderful way to stop employees from writing to flash drives.

I have just tested it on my work computer and it works nicely; just keep in mind this has to be done on each computer:

1) Start -- RUN -- regedit -- OK

2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

3) Right click the Control subkey and select NEW, Key.

4) Type the name for the new subkey -- StorageDevicePolicies

5) Right click the new subkey (StorageDevicePolicies) and click NEW, Dword value.

6) Type the name WriteProtect (click anywhere else to save)

7) Double click the new WriteProtect and enter the decimal value of 1 to enable this value (a zero turns it off again).

8 ) Close out and test

My notes: You can still read from the USB devices, you just can not write to them. This would have useful at my last job as one of the ladies there was taking home company information via her thumb drive.

And I suppose TJMaxx wished they used this when the badguys installed their tracking software on the kiosks.

~Obdurate~