Options

Which path to take?

mrkeetymrkeety Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to make this fast because I have to go to work.

I get my A.S in CNIT(computer network and information tech) after one more semester.

After that I plan to pursue a bachelor in Business Administration: Accounting.

I chose accounting because its safe, every company needs and accountant.

And with my A.S in CNIT, I can be more attractive, knowing my business, numbers, and computers.

I've also chose accounting, because Computer Engineer and Computer Science is too hard for me :), requires super math, physics and chem.

But then, I've found out about business Administration: Information System, which seems like a CS degree, but easier to get. And it seems good for IT.

ALSO:
I need to pick an option for my A.S in CNIT.

Should I go for Networks, or Computer security?

Security seems cool, but is it realistic? I've really never seem an ad looking for security. And shouldn't I really know my networks first then tackle security?

(also doing CERTs while in school)

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You sound very unsure about what you want to do. What do you really like? What is your real passion? If you don't know then slow down a little and think things through before spend money on your Bachelor degree. Those are usually much more expensive.

Welcome to TE!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    You sound very unsure about what you want to do. What do you really like? What is your real passion? If you don't know then slow down a little and think things through before spend money on your Bachelor degree. Those are usually much more expensive.

Welcome to TE!

I'll second that.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    If i can try out every job in the world, i would.

But i'll have to narrow it down in the computer section.

I would like to touch every aspects of IT. I want to do anything as long it involves computers, wires, blinking LEDs.

Seems like some companies won't hire unless you have a degree.

Is there a tech site that describes what people really
    do?

My goal is to be the top geek, who has mcsa, ccnp, DBA, certs.

I know thats lil too far off, but where shall i start?

Im thinkinh my as and bs, while doing comptia n certs on the side.

EDIT:I know its all about experience, so hopefully I can find a helpdesk job to start.

But alot helpdesk jobs in San francisco here wants people with AS degrees.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mrkeety wrote: »
    I'm going to make this fast because I have to go to work.

I get my A.S in CNIT(computer network and information tech) after one more semester.

After that I plan to pursue a bachelor in Business Administration: Accounting.

I chose accounting because its safe, every company needs and accountant.

And with my A.S in CNIT, I can be more attractive, knowing my business, numbers, and computers.

I've also chose accounting, because Computer Engineer and Computer Science is too hard for me :), requires super math, physics and chem.

But then, I've found out about business Administration: Information System, which seems like a CS degree, but easier to get. And it seems good for IT.

ALSO:
    I need to pick an option for my A.S in CNIT.

Should I go for Networks, or Computer security?

Security seems cool, but is it realistic? I've really never seem an ad looking for security. And shouldn't I really know my networks first then tackle security?

(also doing CERTs while in school)
    Never be afraid to try something because it’s hard or difficult. I have a close group of friends and family that I can turn to, when the subject matter or material becomes too difficult, or hard to understand.
    The IT director at my college wrote three great blogs one is about finding your focus, which I posted below, and the next one is about the difference between Information Technology and Computer Science. The final blog is about how to break into the IT field in an entry level position.
    What’s the difference between information Technology and computer science?
    What’s the difference between information technology and computer science?
    Finding your Focus:
    Finding Your Focus
    Catch a Wave: This blog explains the steps students need to complete to enter the IT Job market
    Catch a Wave

Beyond everything I have mentioned previously, I must emphasize that since you almost have your degree, you should start trying to figure out what area of IT you want to focus on..
    • Networking
    • Web Design
    • Database design/administration
    • Security
    • Programming
    • Help/support
    That’s only a small list that I came up with, but you get the idea, and then again there are many sub categories too.
    PS: don’t rule out trying Personality tests, or speaking to a counselor at your school. They’re there to help you succeed. Tests such as Myers and Briggs

I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Thanks for the info networking student!

Again, back to my first post, should i pursue a bs in info sys or accounting?
    Because it seems like all i need to get in IT is an A.S, certs, and alot of experience. Then i cam use the accounting degree as a backup plan.

Im thinking about skipping the comptia certs and go straight to microsofts or cisco route, is this a bad idea?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the info networking student!

Again, back to my first post, should i pursue a bs in info sys or accounting?
    Because it seems like all i need to get in IT is an A.S, certs, and alot of experience. Then i cam use the accounting degree as a backup plan.

Any Bachelor degree is helpful in IT. I can't really advise you on Accounting degrees.
    I am thinking about skipping the comptia certs and going straight to Microsoft or Cisco route, is this a bad idea?

Actually it is a very good idea.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    But alot helpdesk jobs in San francisco here wants people with AS degrees.

Some do, there are plenty that don't. I have worked help desk at companies throughout the bay area. Try and find ways to network locally.