Options

etherchannel

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Would there every be a time when you would create an etherchannel group and put them in an access mode rather than a trunk mode?

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    If you were connecting to end devices, like servers, you could use access mode. Switch to switch you could do it if you wanted, but I think most of the time channeled ports will be trunks.
  • Options
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    If you were connecting to end devices, like servers, you could use access mode. Switch to switch you could do it if you wanted, but I think most of the time channeled ports will be trunks.

I mean like on a cisco switch. Like I noticed in this config that it made the port a trunk and I wondered about making it in access mode.

Here is another one for ya colby: can you make a entherchannel with ports with different int speeds? Like a could of 100base and 1 gb?
  • Options
    Between switches, yes, you could configure the channel as access ports. I don't think it is done in practice very often unless it is a flat network. Is that a better answer?

I'm really not sure. I have chaneled 1000mb ports on a switch to 100mb ports on another switch without issue, they negotiated to 100mb. I've never tried channeling 1000mb and 100mb ports on the same switch to another switch. I think it could work, but I'm not sure that it would. I can't test this at the moment either.
  • Options
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    Between switches, yes, you could configure the channel as access ports. I don't think it is done in practice very often unless it is a flat network. Is that a better answer?

I'm really not sure. I have chaneled 1000mb ports on a switch to 100mb ports on another switch without issue, they negotiated to 100mb. I've never tried channeling 1000mb and 100mb ports on the same switch to another switch. I think it could work, but I'm not sure that it would. I can't test this at the moment either.

Welp I found something for me to try tonight.
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    knwminus wrote: »

Here is another one for ya colby: can you make a entherchannel with ports with different int speeds? Like a could of 100base and 1 gb?

If the ports are at different speeds they won't bundle.

For example, i had this happen the other day when i was creating a channel;

%EC-5-CANNOT_BUNDLE2: Gi2/0/7 is not compatible with Gi1/0/7 and will be suspended (speed of Gi2/0/7 is 100M, Gi1/0/7 is 1000M)

Did a shut / no shut on Gi2/0/7 and it negotiated up to 1000M
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Nice, you definitely cleared that up. Pretty cool that there's even an error message explaining it too, lol.
  • Options
    rakem wrote: »
    If the ports are at different speeds they won't bundle.

For example, i had this happen the other day when i was creating a channel;

%EC-5-CANNOT_BUNDLE2: Gi2/0/7 is not compatible with Gi1/0/7 and will be suspended (speed of Gi2/0/7 is 100M, Gi1/0/7 is 1000M)

Did a shut / no shut on Gi2/0/7 and it negotiated up to 1000M

Cool. I want to test and see what will happen if some ports are 1/2 duplex and some are auto. I wonder if that will make a difference.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    won't bundle if speed and\or duplex is mis-matched.....

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I usually default the interface then bundle them together and put the configs on the port channel
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew