Downgrade rights...

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Me and google have been fighting google cought me using bing

I can't find any good sources stating that 7 can downgrade to XP. Toms hardware and a few others state that you can but cite no official microsoft documentation. Most importantly I am also looking for the procedure on this.

I need official stuff to present to management.

little help?
-Daniel

Comments

• UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Here you go:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/9/68964284-864d-4a6d-aed9-f2c1f8f23e14/Downgrade_Rights.docx

"Can I downgrade my OEM version of Windows 7 Professional to Windows XP Professional? For a limited time of 18 months after the general availability of Windows 7 or the release of a Windows 7 Service Pack, whichever is earlier, the OEM license of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate will include downgrade rights to Windows XP Professional. After that period the OEM license will enable downgrade rights to Windows Vista Business."
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Exactly how do you go about downgrading?
  • breakerbreaker Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe you call up microsoft for a downgrade key
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    When it comes to licensing, I always say check with your Microsoft TAM to be sure.

As UnixGeek said, if you have an OEM edition of Windows 7 you can downgrade to XP for 18 or until Win7 SP1 is released. However, if you have a Volume Licensing Agreement and Software Assurance (which costs more of course), you can upgrade or downgrade versions as far as you want for as long as you want.

Microsoft Unveils Windows 7 Downgrade Plan -- Redmond Channel Partner

So, you can, but why would you want to? In the interest of full disclosure, I should let you know that I have spent the last month and look to be spending the next couple months travelling to different customers demonstrating the Application compatibility features and tools available for Windows 7. Check out the Application Compatibility Toolkit or talk to your MS rep about using some of your EA days for a free assessment engagement (which they will send a partner like my company to perform). For those truly difficult apps, there is always XP mode for the smaller shops or MED-V for the shops that require centralized management.

Are you facing challenges other than application compatibility that would prevent you from upgrading?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think we're facing the mis-communication here of not differentiating between the right to downgrade as a licensing issue, and the ability to downgrade as a technical issue.

As far as I know, there is no way to stick an XP disc in the optical drive of your Windows 7 box and downgrade, keeping your programs and data intact. You would have to back up your data, install Windows XP cleanly, and reinstall everything. When companies talk about downgrades, they mean that you're entitled to an XP product key and disc in addition to a Windows Vista or Windows 7 key and disc.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.