8GB total mem, only 4GB showing

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
We just got a new Dell T410. It has two quad-core Xeons with 4GB mem per cpu. When I crack it open I can see the 2x2GB sticks per cpu but system properties and systeminfo only shows a total of 4GB. Is it only reporting mem for one of the cpu's? Ive never worked with a server that has seperate mem banks for each cpu.

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    What OS? Using memory RAID?
    Good luck to all!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you using a 64bit OS? If not does the OS have PAE support?
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry, OS is 2003 R2 x64. Not sure if it is using memory RAID or what PAE is.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    phoeneous wrote: »

Physical Address Extension - PAE Memory and Windows
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You should be able to get a memory count from the BIOS. Jump in there and see what is being reported.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    PAE does not matter on a 64 bit OS.

I am aware that 2^64 means a 64-bit OS can theoretically address 18446744073709551616 bytes of memory. I was letting him know what PAE was, although I guess I didn't explain that it was not necessary on a 64-bit OS, so thanks for clearing that up. Wouldn't want the kids at home trying unecessary switches in their boot.ini files.

Yeah, if you're using memory RAID, it would obviously cut the usable RAM in half. Not a common config though...
    Good luck to all!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I am aware that 2^64 means a 64-bit OS can theoretically address 18446744073709551616 bytes of memory. I was letting him know what PAE was, although I guess I didn't explain that it was not necessary on a 64-bit OS, so thanks for clearing that up. Wouldn't want the kids at home trying unecessary switches in their boot.ini files.

I don't want you to think I was correcting you... I was just pointing out to the OP that it would not cause the issue, since he was running a 64 bit OS. icon_wink.gif
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're using memory RAID, it would obviously cut the usable RAM in half. Not a common config though...

I just found out the the memory mode is configured as Mirroring. I guess its specific to Dell?

These are the different modes available for the T410:
    Optimizer- When this mode is enabled, the DRAM controllers operate independently in 64-bit mode and provide optimized memory performance.

Spare- When this mode is enabled, the available memory reported to the operating system does not include the spared memory.

Mirroring- This mode switches the system to a mirrored copy of the memory if the failing module has a multibit error. In mirrored mode, the operating system does not switch back to the original module until the system reboots.

Advanced ECC- When this mode is enabled, the two DRAM controllers are combined in 128-bit mode and provide optimized reliability. Memory that cannot be teamed by the controllers is not reported to the OS.

Do you guys suggest I use a different mode? This is going to be a SQL box that will host about 10 dbases.
    I don't want you to think I was correcting you... I was just pointing out to the OP that it would not cause the issue, since he was running a 64 bit OS. icon_wink.gif

Aw, come on guys, duke it out!

No?

*putting popcorn away...*
    Good luck to all!
    I just found out the the memory mode is configured as Mirroring. I guess its specific to Dell?

These are the different modes available for the T410:

Do you guys suggest I use a different mode? This is going to be a SQL box that will host about 10 dbases.

Sounds like memory RAID to me.

Uhh, what you should use has a lot to do with how much fault tolerance you need for RAM operations, how much RAM you need for load, etc.

How many databases doesn't answer the question. Do you need 8GBs or 4GBs of RAM?
    Good luck to all!
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    How transactional are the databases? IE: how many records/transactions are being done daily?

I have a VM box that does over 2500 transactions a day, over $10000 a day in transactions for items that are only between 1-6 dollars.

Not only do these transactions take place, but it is auto updating the inventory on hand etc. So there can be easily 40k records updated a day.

Remember SQL will eat all the memory you throw at it, so more is always better, but.... You need to make sure you are allocating the memory correctly per database/instance.

Good luck!