Options

Griping about 647

Hey just thought I'd come in here and complain a bit and blow off some steam. I finished the MS Press 70-647 book yesterday, and today I started the Measure Up practice test. Did 50 questions so far, and I'm at 33/50 which is a 660. Not too good. I have a list of at least 10 things in MeasureUp that are not even mentioned in the 647 book. Too lengthy to even mention, but considering I've studied and passed 646 & 649, I'm a little miffed at stuff that's showing up that I've never heard of yet!

This is my biggest gripe about these exams - there doesn't seem to be any single, definitive "go to" source for everything. My frustration at the moment is "what else didn't I learn about yet?".

Maybe after a good night's sleep I'll be in a better mood, lol. I am not looking forward to sitting this exam! icon8.gif
MCTS
MCITP: SA & EA
MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
MCSA: 2000, 2003

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If it makes you feel any better I regularly fail the Measureup and then go take the exam to score 850+ almost every time.

Measureup is pretty terrible and not very representitive of the true exam.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better I regularly fail the Measureup and then go take the exam to score 850+ almost every time.

Measureup is pretty terrible and not very representitive of the true exam.

I fully 100% endorse this answer. It reflects my experience with Measure Up completely.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    undomiel wrote: »
    I fully 100% endorse this answer. It reflects my experience with Measure Up completely.

That hasn't been my experience and I actually prefer MeasureUp to Transcender. I use practice tests as a part of my routine, although I use them in 'study mode' rather than 'certification mode' for a couple of reasons. One, my memory is too good to allow a certification mode exam to be useful more than maybe twice. I start memorizing the answers and I don't read the questions anymore. Two, I want immediate feedback so I know why the answers were right or wrong and what subjects I need to study further. I prefer the MeasureUp study mode to the Transcender flashcard mode.

I used the MS Press book for 647 and I found it adequately prepared me for the exam. Where our preparation likely differed is I did not use the MS Press book for the 649 upgrade exam because it had not been published yet. I used a combination of resource kits and non-MS books in an effort to learn the technology first, pass the exam second. Those books, combined with my experience, may have exposed me to some of the technology that is on the exam but not heavily (or at all) covered in the 647 book. I remember questions that related to MS products that a large enterprise would likely have, such as MDOP (specifically App-V or Softgrid), Hyper-V, various System Center apps, or Sharepoint. You don't need to know how to manage each one - just know when you would need to use it if an included tool won't cut it. A purely made-up example would be requiring the use of SCCM to perform a zero-touch deployment because WDS/MDT will only allow you to do a lite-touch deployment.
  • Options
    texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    Claymoore wrote: »
    That hasn't been my experience and I actually prefer MeasureUp to Transcender. I use practice tests as a part of my routine, although I use them in 'study mode' rather than 'certification mode' for a couple of reasons. One, my memory is too good to allow a certification mode exam to be useful more than maybe twice. I start memorizing the answers and I don't read the questions anymore. Two, I want immediate feedback so I know why the answers were right or wrong and what subjects I need to study further. I prefer the MeasureUp study mode to the Transcender flashcard mode.

I used the MS Press book for 647 and I found it adequately prepared me for the exam. Where our preparation likely differed is I did not use the MS Press book for the 649 upgrade exam because it had not been published yet. I used a combination of resource kits and non-MS books in an effort to learn the technology first, pass the exam second. Those books, combined with my experience, may have exposed me to some of the technology that is on the exam but not heavily (or at all) covered in the 647 book. I remember questions that related to MS products that a large enterprise would likely have, such as MDOP (specifically App-V or Softgrid), Hyper-V, various System Center apps, or Sharepoint. You don't need to know how to manage each one - just know when you would need to use it if an included tool won't cut it. A purely made-up example would be requiring the use of SCCM to perform a zero-touch deployment because WDS/MDT will only allow you to do a lite-touch deployment.

I agree with Claymoore I find the measureup to be very useful it has helped me pass all my exams the first time.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I can't comment on transcenders or other practice tests as I didn't use them. I do feel that the Measure Up exams were not a good representation of the tests, nor of the material covered by them. Actually, I should limit that, just the 647 test as that's the only one that I got to look at the book and use the Measure Up from.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    Hey,

I'm not a massive fan of measure up and I didn't find this exam that difficult, I wouldn't worry about it too much. as far as design exams go, this was easier than both the 70-297 and the 70-238, although it was still a design exam which can be a pain becuase you sometimes want to answer differently than you know microsoft wants you to.