3Com sells out to HP

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    3Com was still in business? You learn something new every day...
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    We use nothing but 3com switches at work. But we use Cisco routers.

Then again, our routers arent even managed by out network team. Good thing too, since they cant even setup spanning tree or SNMP properly.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why would they do this?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    knwminus wrote: »
    Why would they do this?
    Cisco are pushing into HP territory by making blades and servers now. I guess HP want to expand their networking portfolio and add the 3Com range as a lower end ProCurve?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Cisco are pushing into HP territory by making blades and servers now. I guess HP want to expand their networking portfolio and add the 3Com range as a lower end ProCurve?

I was gonna say don't they make switches already.....

maybe they want to compete with Linksys....icon_lol.gif
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow - interesting. We have a 3com VoIP system...icon_eek.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    3Com also own TippingPoint....HP just inherited one of the best IPS platforms on the planet.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3Com was still in business? You learn something new every day...

We use primarily 3Com equipment at work, so here's my 2 cents.

I believe this could be a very good move for HP. Believe it or not, 3Com stands an actual chance at competing directly with Cisco in the small/medium, and quite possibly the enterprise, business environment.

As another poster mentioned, their Tipping Point IPS system along with their X family of security devices are actually very nice and easy to work with.

They also recently acquired the H3C line of high end routers/switches. Again, these are a pleasure to work with and are very similar to Cisco's IOS as far as command syntax goes.

Their NBX and VCX IP telephony platforms are also quite impressive.

I've always been a fan of HP servers/workstations, as well as the support of both 3Com and HP.

Personally, I'm anxious to see what this brings, as I work a lot with both vendor's hardware.