Options

Password encryption service with NetSim

KPWrightKPWright Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

I'm going through a lab that is intended to be executed on real rack..... but I don't have access to the rack. So to get on with it for now I've set up the topology in NetSim.

I'm asked to invoke "service password-encryption" and to then verify that all of the passwords are encrypted when viewing the running config. The lab manual shows both the line vty and console passwords as encrypted however while NetSim does now show the enable password encrypted, both line passwords are still clear text.

I'm not hung up on whether this is fully supported, but can someone just confirm for me which way this should actually go? Both the lab manuals and the simulation seem to be wrong often enough that I don't know which to believe.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From my understanding both vty and console passwords will be encrypted when you run the serv pass command, those sims can be very flaky. I would check out Packet Tracer if you can get your hands on it, it's probably the best sim I've used for CCNA studies even though it still has it's on little quirks.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply stlsmoore. I don't want to complain too much, it is nice to have something that allows practice on the CLI in the absence of equipment, but it is pretty frustrating when you (frequently) happen on un-supported "stuff". icon_sad.gif Since I submitted the original post, I've moved forward in the same lab, only to come up on the lack of support for ssh. Still, better than nothing and hopefully good enough to get me through the exam.

I think I will try to get hold of Packet Tracer and see how it handles the same labs. Maybe between the two.....??

Cheers,

Kevin
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just did this in PT, it hashes the vty password as well as enable secret.
    line con 0
    line vty 0 4
     password 7 0822455D0A16
     login

• Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I just did this in PT, it hashes the vty password as well as enable secret.

Excellent! Thanks for the check. Now I know I'm going to check out Packet Tracer.