Options

SQL 2005 70-431 Advice

LantzvillianLantzvillian Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys longtime,

I am looking at taking the MS 70-431 exam for SQL Server 2005 implementing and maintenance. I read the "official academic course" from this from MS, and performed most of the labs. Its a two book combo written by joseph jorden, dandy weyn and dave owen.

I have a good chunk of knowledge of Oracle and MySQL as well and got suckered into taking the SQL 2005 course at BCIT in Vancouver for my bridging. That course is almost done, so I was thinking of just challenging this beast and taking the exam.

What advice could you give me on the types of questions, the simulations or in general the areas focused on by the exam?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    drewkegdrewkeg Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me I thought it was a pretty difficult exam. It is a 2 part exam, first part is MC, about 35 questions, and the second part is SIM, about 12. Each part is scored separately. Once you are done the first section, you cannot go back to change anything. Your lower of the two scores is taken as your final score. Know your backups, basic SSMS navigation, functions, assemblies, etc.
    I don't work with it, so maybe that is why I found it difficult, you may not. Because of the way it is scored and the amount of SIMS, it was the most nerve-wracking exam I've taken.
    Good Luck!

Have Triplets, Need Beer
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would install a database and SSMS and try out a bunch of different scenarios.

Your db background will be more than enough for this exam....as I remember this exam was mostly SSMS focused, so the more hands-on you have with SSMS the better prepared you will be.

MS
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TRy to find a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Server-2005-Street-Smarts-Certification/dp/0470083492/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258307469&sr=8-1

Do the labs in it using SSMS and you will be golden. Most of the multiple choice questions are easy if you pay attention.

I had an issue with the sims. A few of them were very similar and I became quite confused thinking I was being asked to do the same thing repeaztedly. Upon asking others who have aken the exam I figured out I probably did not read the instructions clearly.
  • Options
    I agree with Robert, the SIMS were pretty tricky and more difficult than the MC.

Have Triplets, Need Beer
  • Options
    drewkeg wrote: »
    I agree with Robert, the SIMS were pretty tricky and more difficult than the MC.

I wish I could say that they were tricky and not that I was just having issues paying attention that day. I am usually exceptionally skilled at reading test questions and figuring out exactly what they want. I just dont remember if they were in fact worded in a tricky way or if I just performed poorly due to lack of attention. I tend to think it was lack of attention.

Also, to the OP: you should really post SQl cert topics in the SQL forum. http://www.techexams.net/forums/sql-server-2000-2005-exams/
  • Options
    'tricky' may not have been the best description. Extra special attention was definitely required. icon_wink.gif

Have Triplets, Need Beer
  • Options
    LantzvillianLantzvillian Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've done most of the labs in the MOC books - if not all of them and have a pretty good understanding of it. Its not the most beautiful UI, some nice logical errors pop up and make you say WTF...

So far I am thinking that the simulations would be:

-Linked Servers
    -Deleting a user
    -creating or deleting a schemas
    -changing schema owners
    -creating tables
    -creating indexes
    -backup tasks
    -SQL profiler
    -DAC
    -mirroring and log-shipping

The book focuse on these is out of context, and from reading any comptia related material.. the stuff out of context or makes you go hmmm this will be on a test, will in fact be there.

I imagine the MC won't be exceptionally difficult, just the simulations give me pause.

What are they? is there a MS example somewhere? are they like a ghetto sliced and diced ui with hot-spots.
  • Options
    I think you are on the right track and if you can do those tasks well then you should be ok. The UI us a full SSMS with some aspects deactivated. They want you to use the GUI, so no T-SQL to create users, etc.

Don't forget to post in the SQL Server forum!