Which Version Windows 7

steve617steve617 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have upgraded my Vista to Windows 7. Without thinking much about it I choose the 32 bit. Mainly because I just have 2 GB RAM. After conatcting my distributor they are going to give me the option of downloading the 64 bit version. My question is would 64 work OK with 2 GB RAM? It works great like it is but I'm thinking of taking advantage of the 64 bit technology. However I feel at 2 GB of RAM it may not work as effecient. I could later I guess spend $100 and go to 4 GB. Its for my laptop which is a Toshiba P205D. My processor is a Athlon X64 1.7 Dual Core TK-53. Thanks
"The Piney Bluff Tech Guy"
www.pbtechguy.com

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Currently, the only practical reasons to go with a 64-bit OS is to utilize more than 4GB of RAM (3.5GB in Windows) or to use 64-bit-only software applications. 64-bit CPU architecture is definitely where all PC technology is headed, so getting a new machine with an x64 processor--although it may be running a 32-bit OS--is definitely future-proofing your investment.

Practical reasons not to use a 64-bit OS includes possible incompatibilities with some 32-bit software and the lack of compatible drivers for some (older) hardware devices. This can be mitigated by keeping a 32-bit OS machine available for running any apps or hardware you need that won't run on your 64-bit OS machine.

And 64-bit Windows 7 runs just fine in 2GB of RAM.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    We have been testing W7 Enterprise (same as Ultimate) x64 running 2gig of ram and haven't noticed any issues.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration