Question about passing

EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings,

I have to pass this test as part of the DOD mandate. I have stong network experience but to be honest, all the specifics regarding cabling has escaped me.

Is there any particular website you guys used for a down and dirty on cabling as it relates to Net+. I took that sample test offered on this site and the only questions I got wrong were those related to cabling specifics. I'd like to take this test by Wed so any advice/insight that can be offered would be very much appreciated

Thank you!

Comments

• jwedlundjwedlund Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok wait a minute in your certifications you list CCIE routing and switching. If you take Network+ you're gonna feel like taking a big step backwards because it's like an entry level cert. Now as far as cabling goes i don't know about the new net+ exam because i took mine in 2005 but don't think it will be that much of an issue for you.

Jason
  • EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jwedlund wrote: »
    Ok wait a minute in your certifications you list CCIE routing and switching. If you take Network+ you're gonna feel like taking a big step backwards because it's like an entry level cert. Now as far as cabling goes i don't know about the new net+ exam because i took mine in 2005 but don't think it will be that much of an issue for you.

Jason

Jason,

There is a directive from the Dept of Defence called "Directive 8570.1". What it states is that in order to touch ANY DoD network from an IA standpoint you MUST have either a A+ cert or an Net+. In addition, in order to reach other levels you must also have a Security +.

I do understand that as a CCIE it may appear odd that one is pursing a NET+ cert; however, for much of what I support it is required that I obtain the certification:

You can either google directive 8570.1 or view the following to get a clearer picture. http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf

Ernest
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EMcCaleb wrote: »
    Jason,

There is a directive from the Dept of Defence called "Directive 8570.1". What it states is that in order to touch ANY DoD network from an IA standpoint you MUST have either a A+ cert or an Net+. In addition, in order to reach other levels you must also have a Security +.

I do understand that as a CCIE it may appear odd that one is pursing a NET+ cert; however, for much of what I support it is required that I obtain the certification:

You can either google directive 8570.1 or view the following to get a clearer picture. http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf

Ernest

When I took the Net+ I used the Mike Myers guide. It had a section on various cabling. Also I did use a bit of googleing/wikipedia searches to find the answers. The testing wasn't to bad for me, and you are a CCIE. You should kill it. Just do some googling on various connectors and you will be golden.

PS: They should add other certs to fulfill the N+ role, like CCNA or CCIE icon_wink.gif.
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    i remember hearing about these directives as far as Sec + I did not know it extended to Net + etc. I notice you are a CCIE. Do these directives not have exceptions for something with a higher level certification from another vendor? Like wouldn't an MCSE be better than an A+. Or a CCNA-IE better than a Net +. Seems odd to me but then again I've seen much stranger requirements.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is the deal as I understood it you either have to have A+ , N+ for IAT Level 1 I would suggest getting Security which gives IAT Level 1-3 and IAM Level 1. Make sure you read the document above^.
    Free Reading : History Books