Options

Cisco Packet Tracer Subnetting Problems

ukman2003ukman2003 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys.

Still working on some exciting subnetting, but having a little trouble.

I'm looking at using the address 192.168.1.0/24, which is a classful Class C network address. I have a PC --- Switch --- Router R1 DCE Linked Router R2--- PC is my network.

The LAN connected to R1 needs to support 15 hosts.
The LAN connected to R2 needs to support 30 hosts.
The link between router R1 and router R2 will require address at each end of the link.

Now I believe I need four subnets, I think. In the directions it says that I need to assign the second subnet to the network attached to R1, the third subnet to link between R1 and R2 (serial links), and the fourth subnet should be attached to R2 router.

I believe my increments should be 64, which means my subnet should be 255.255.255.192

But the kicker to this wonderful problem is that I am not allowed to use VLSM. If I could do that I could have this solved in a few minutes. I think then that they all have to stay on the /24 subnet.

Anyway if anyone could point me in the right direction I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ukman2003 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I'm looking at using the address 192.168.1.0/24, which is a classful Class C network address. I have a PC --- Switch --- Router R1 DCE Linked Router R2--- PC is my network.

The link between router R1 and router R2 will require address at each end of the link.

Now I believe I need four subnets, I think. In the directions it says that I need to assign the second subnet to the network attached to R1, the third subnet to link between R1 and R2 (serial links), and the fourth subnet should be attached to R2 router.

I believe my increments should be 64, which means my subnet should be 255.255.255.192

But the kicker to this wonderful problem is that I am not allowed to use VLSM. If I could do that I could have this solved in a few minutes. I think then that they all have to stay on the /24 subnet.

Thanks,

Ryan

You only need 3 subnets:

1 on the lan interface of r1
    1 on the wan link between r1 and r2
    1 on the lan interface of r2

If you dont need to use vlsm then sure you can put them each in a /24 subnet but that would be a waste of a lot of addresses.

Ask yourself this:

How many host bits do I need for 15 hosts?
    How many host bits do I need for 2 hosts?
    How many host bits do I need for 30 hosts?

Hint: You can optimize your increments better
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    ukman2003 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Thanks,

Ryan

you are misunderstanding the use of the term VLSM

Variable Length Subnet Mask

They are telling you make the mask the same for all three networks.
    Actually makes the task easier.

Determine the mask required to fit the largest subnet and apply it the other two.

VLSM would mean you would have different length subnets masks on your three subnets.

one could be a /25, and another /27 and another a /29
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    ukman2003ukman2003 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, I finally figured going back through step by step. icon_cheers.gif