Options

Self Study Vs Guided Curriculum

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
Of course self study is the main way around this website but I am curious to those of you with a CCNA. Who used self study and who went another way, a boot camp, a college course, etc.

Do you feel you would not have gotten it without help? I am finally trying to get serious about getting my CCNA and the local community college offers courses but I think it is a year or two long. I really think I could do it faster alone. But I wonder if i would be greater served and learn more in a classroom environment.

I understand of course you get what you put in, just looking for some experienced views

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it really depends on your background. If you are first starting out in the networking world you might be better served with having an instructor to ask your questions. The biggest issue I see with people first starting out is that they can't put things in context with the real world. Having someone with some of that knowledge in an instructor could really help.

If you have been doing this for a while a book will probably serve you better as you will have a lot of the foundation down already and most of it will click pretty easily.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    It also depends on your learning style. Do you like to read a lot? Do you like to quiz yourself on the knowledge you've attained in the process of studying? Some folks actually benefit more from a traditional classroom environment for various reasons-- they have an instructor to keep them on schedule, to ask questions of and they have fellow students to interact with. There are people who actually fall asleep reading just about anything, so self-study may prove difficult! Yet other folks benefit from lectures on DVD or CBT. So keep your learning style in mind as you make your decision.

If you've taken other certifications, that will also serve as a gauge. Did you study better with books? Were you able to maintain self-appointed timelines and goals? It's important to consider past performance as well.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    It also depends on your learning style. Do you like to read a lot? Do you like to quiz yourself on the knowledge you've attained in the process of studying? Some folks actually benefit more from a traditional classroom environment for various reasons-- they have an instructor to keep them on schedule, to ask questions of and they have fellow students to interact with. There are people who actually fall asleep reading just about anything, so self-study may prove difficult! Yet other folks benefit from lectures on DVD or CBT. So keep your learning style in mind as you make your decision.

If you've taken other certifications, that will also serve as a gauge. Did you study better with books? Were you able to maintain self-appointed timelines and goals? It's important to consider past performance as well.

I do like to have someone to bounce questions and theories off of. I might give self study a try and see how i am grasping the concepts by talking to friends that are 'network professionals' Once i get my mind set one something I do pretty good at keeping going. its the starting part that is hard.
  • Options
    IMO I personally would avoid a boot camp. Think about it, how much can you retain in a 1 -2 week period. If you already have lots of study time and or experience under your belt it may be all right but to go from start to finish no way. I took a CCNA boot camp $$$$$$ (paid for by my employer) after having self studied for several months. It helped me but the other (experienced) people that were not previously studying were totally lost remember the pace is fast.

Now if you need the structure I would recommend a college course or one that lasts for 3-4 months. This will give you time to study and absorb the material. Best of luck icon_study.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Now if you need the structure I would recommend a college course or one that lasts for 3-4 months. This will give you time to study and absorb the material. Best of luck icon_study.gif

+1 and it is cheaper.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    The Cisco Network Academy at local colleges is a great way to get your feet wet with Cisco technology. It takes about 3-4 months per course. There are 4 courses for the CCNA and 4 for the CCNP. It can take up to 4 years doing it this way. Some schools do a fast track type program that will cram all that into 4 courses instead of 8.

I'm currently taking the CCNP track right now because my employer is paying for it. I'm also doing self-study along side of it. It's the best of both worlds. I like the fact that I have an instructor that I can ask questions to and I can take as much time as I need to grasp the concepts.

Either way you choose it will be a fun experience!

Keith
  • Options
    KPWrightKPWright Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sitting in a CCNA boot camp this week. While I agree the material presented can be clarified more quickly face to face, I can also confirm that we are barely grazing the surface of CCNA content. If all of the practice exams are really representative, this would never prepare me for the test unless I already knew the material.

While I haven't gotten the cert yet, I can also confirm that "un-guided" self study can be a waste of time or even counter-productive. When I started, I was presented with a set of videos without the benefit of any supporting study guide or coordinated labs. I wasted the better part of two months with this relatively rambling presentation before frustration and the advice shown in this forum led me to better materials. I think any course of CCNA study should involve coordinated presentation, reference material and labs that provide a logical apporach to the material. That said, in my opinion it's up to the individual whether they can best make their way through that material on their own or need to be led through it.
  • Options
    rodan07rodan07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I spent about 17 months reading the official CCNA books, and basically spinning my wheels, until I got enrolled in the Cisco Networking Academy CCNA program. That was 14 months ago, and in two weeks, I test for my CCNA.

I would recommend an instructor if you've got no experience of networking. A classroom engages more parts of my brain than just sitting down with a book. And the free simulator you get with the Cisco Networking Academy is really good for your labs.

R
    Roy Verges, CCNA
    Working on CCNA Voice & MCSA.
    Hoping for time to exercise and play music (dream on...)
  • Options
    Thanks all you guys for the replies, I like the diversity of the answers, i might head down and check out the cisco academy. I am going to try it self study at first and see how the material sinks in. If i feel after a month or so i am just not getting it i will take the more structured college route.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    rodan07 wrote: »
    I spent about 17 months reading the official CCNA books, and basically spinning my wheels, until I got enrolled in the Cisco Networking Academy CCNA program. That was 14 months ago, and in two weeks, I test for my CCNA.

I would recommend an instructor if you've got no experience of networking. A classroom engages more parts of my brain than just sitting down with a book. And the free simulator you get with the Cisco Networking Academy is really good for your labs.

R

I'm trying to do it self study only because that's all my budget allows, your right I feel like most times I'm just spinning my wheels. I'm not a nework guy yet spent 24+ years in voice and still there. In the past few years went through Nortel networking, Voip and CS-2100 certs. Now that they are going away I'm trying Cisco (mush harder and much deeper) then Nortel. If you don't mind me asking what does the full course to Cisco Networking Academy cost?
    I'm sure what ever the price its worth it.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."