Options

What do you expect from a JUNIOR I.T person.

ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
What do you expect from a junior I.T technician person who hold a MCSE but no commercial real world experience. What do you expect like the technical knowledge and skills etc. Do you think that they will be perfect and get things correctly all the time. Will they need supervising

Comments

• Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I'd assume you would be a support technician (break/fix). It's really hard to tell though. You may be making/editing user accounts, or even doing some basic networking. It depends on the position and company.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Do you think that they will be perfect and get things correctly all the time. Will they need supervising

A Junior role is just that, I'd expect them to perform the role to the best of there abilities. The role itself varies depending on which area it is.
    I don't expect anyone to be perfect, or to get things right all the time. We all make mistakes, I've been working with a fair few CCIE's of late and seen them make mistakes. Some of which I'm pleased to say I've spotted before them. It's not about scoring points on who is better tho, its about getting the job done. I've learnt far more of them than they have off me tho I will admit icon_smile.gif
    As a junior yes I'd expect them to need supervision, even if they do have all the technical skills etc, they wont have the business skills or company knowledge and while everything you do technically in a lab goes A-B-C irl it's not always that smooth.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    SHOW UP ON TIME!!!!!

I can't emphasise this enough. Show up on time and do assigned task as they are given even if they are stupid and sily since you were hired for a entry position. Score points by being a good follower and listener. Write down the things you don't like and if they still bother you after a certain amount of time then you address them(small ones. If something is serious address it right away).

As you learn the rules of the road of the company you are at, then you can start to implement change and you will be given lead way to go in your own direction.

Watch out for Haters. They are everywhere. Mouth Closed and eyes and ears open.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    First of all, as an IT manager, I do not expect (or desire) an unexperienced person to hold a MCSE.

Apart from that, what I basically do expect from a junior IT person:

1. The ability to connect and install a PC
    2. The ability to install non-complex software
    3. The ability to keep records (paperwork) up to date
    4. The ability to do basic safety checks on equipment
    5. The ability to follow instructions
    6. Contribute to the SLA of the dept for our clients
    7. Work part of the team
    8. Do various courses (whether it's class based or self-study) to improve skills relevant to the job
    9. Have customer care/customer service, as well as soft skills.

-Ken
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Everybodys human and makes mistakes regardless of their level. Make sure you learn from your experiances.

A junior will need a degree of supervision.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you expect from a junior I.T technician person who hold a MCSE but no commercial real world experience. What do you expect like the technical knowledge and skills etc. Do you think that they will be perfect and get things correctly all the time. Will they need supervising

You will be expected to do a lot of grunt work. Get a reputation for the following during your time in such a role in no particular order:

1. Punctual
    2. A finisher of tasks
    3. Polite
    4. Careful
    5. Goes about work quietly
    6. Organized
    7. Helpful
    8. Uses initiative
    9. Patient
    10. Enthusiasm

Follow whatever processes there are there to keep your paperwork in order. Do all that and show willingness to progress and you should be fine. Keep a journal of anything useful you learn on the job and dont lose it.

Postscript - Make the most of this time. There will be times when you might hate it. I know I did for spells when I did it back in the day, but looking back I learned a lot doing it. In some ways it was the hardest IT job I ever had but it was also one of the most rewarding times. Providing you put the effort in the experience you gain will really help you later in your career.
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    1.) Fresh pot of Coffee when I arrive.
    2.) Newspaper laid out at my desk.
    3.) My company vehicle fully gassed up and cleaned after I leave every day.
    4.) Plans for a good lunch before noon. Better have scouted out a new place on his own time during the weekend and the food better be good.
    5.) A couple of fresh jokes every couple of days, I don't want a to work with someone with no personality.

Just kidding.

1.) Learn your job, carry a notebook, seem interested in what people are doing. And oh yea be nice to the clients.