Options

Question about getting jobs requiring security clearances

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
Ok, I have a problem. I have a CCNA and I want to pursue a more professional cert of some kind, but a long time ago - when I was young and stupid - I was discharged from the military with an Other Than Honorable discharge for misconduct (I smoked a joint). Believe it or not, I've never done it before or since. This was 15 years ago.

Since then I've married, started a family, and changed career fields, obtaining an IT job in a NOC. I've had the chance recently to move up into better paying jobs elsewhere, but they've required security clearances, and at least one well-paying job offer was rescinded solely because of my OTH discharge, despite the fact that I have no criminal record, great credit, a stable family, and the discharge was well over a decade ago.

I'd like to get into security, but this field above all others (such as CCSP, CISSP, SCCP, etc) is going to require extensive background checks. I was wondering if other areas of IT would be less stringent on this kind of checking? I know they all have background checks, but some are more in-depth than others. I'm not so crazy about the CCNP, but others are interesting. I'd also like to get into something that doesn't require a fortune to build a home lab with (like voice).

I thought this forum would be the best to find people who would have the knowledge to assist me.

Any input would be welcome.

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You might find this interesting and possibly pursuing

Upgrading Your Military Discharge
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I have seen people get kicked out for General Discharges and they have kept there clearances, but with the drugs they were pulled right away due to the rules. Now when you fill out the paper work for a clearance they can only go back so far. You are just at that point. So you would be good in that since. THe only thing really is the discharge. You are going to be asked about it at any firm requiring a clearance. I got my 1st job out the military and they never even asked for a DD214. WHen I was at defence firms they required it even though I was still a drilling reservist. To sum it all up, I say go for it. Just don't quit your current job and make sure they don't bring you in on a internim just to deny you later.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Military information is listed on the SF-86 form. I really honestly don't know what to tell you. I doubt there is a time limit on the military discharge. The time limits for them diving into your background are as follows:

Secret: 5-7 years in your past
    Top Secret: 10 years in your past

There are obviously varying degrees of top secret clearances. After TS-SSBI (single scope background investigation) they tend to use a polygraph. If you take a counter intelligence poly, it is more about contacts with foreign governments etc.etc. Life style poly will dive into your personal life. This can be sexual history, drug use, criminal history, marriage, and basically anything they feel like asking you.

You'll find if you actually go to work for a government agency (FBI, CIA, NSA) they will probably dive into your background even farther than the 10 years. It is no uncommon for them to hunt down people you went to high school with, or even junior high teachers/classmates.

The rewards for having a clearance depend on your location. If you are near a lot of government organizations you will definitely make a nice pay check. This is especially true if you are in an "in demand" field (security is one of those with a very high demand in the public sector right now).

The private sector is an entirely different animal. I see no real reason you could not do security for a private sector business. I think your particular discharge will be less of a problem to with them. I doubt you will see any more of a background check than you would being a network admin for the most part. If you happen to have a legal (let's say criminal court) facing view, then you will definitely have some problems. I however doubt most security engineers are going to have this problem.

These are all my opinions (except for the clearances part, I do know some about that), and your mileage may vary.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Your best bet is to apply with the discharge review board. I served in the Navy for seven years. They can go as far back as they want for a security clearance. I had a hard time remembering the names of old neighbors and teachers for my security clearance. What is even better is when they show up asking questions. Everyone thinks you did something wrong.
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Discharge cannot be upgraded unless there was some sort of mistake in the original case. Board reviews are sort of like appeals in the civilian world. Unless there was something screwed up and that's the reason why you got the OTH, you will NOT get it even reviewed. Still look it up, dont solely take my word because things may have changed since I was in or since I last looked into it, but it was that way as far as I can remember. Unfortunately there is no grace period, OTH is OTH forever.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab