Intel: Brain implants will control PC's by 2020

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    People will 'WANT" this? Really?icon_rolleyes.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    This technology will be driven by people like Dynamik and their love of p orn :D
  • Options
    He's probably secretly behind the whole idea anyway. Moved to LA for a security job? Pfft ...
  • Options
    Although more seriously, the current technology isn't particulary advanced. Whilst it does show you vaguely where there is brain activity it won't give you much control. You think left or some particular object and it'd detect that and move the cursor. It won't be like you thinking techexams and your browser suddenly going here. Not without pretraining of every keyword which isn't very practical.

Unless we make massive improvements in the understanding of the human brain in the next few years, that level of control will be out of our reach. It is hard enough just doing reliable voice recognition and parsing of the question.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can sign me up! I aint scayer'd!

One of my best friends has limited use of her arms, and no use of her body from just below the sholders. I see stuff like this as a way to help her regain certain functions. She is one of the most briliant people I have met and I believe the world is a poorer place because she is in this condition. With this sort of technology she could accomplish even more than she already has.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Better hope ppl don't hack the computer chip in your brain and turn your brain against you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    This is definitely not a good idea. How will I ever get any work done like that? The content filter is going to go crazy!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    royal wrote: »
    Better hope ppl don't hack the computer chip in your brain and turn your brain against you.

While this might make for great Sci-Fi, it would not be possible. We are talking about sensors, not about a device capable of sending signals to your brain. It's like saying I could hack into the computer of your car and drive you off a cliff. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    DOes this mean that the average man will go download p*rn every 6 seconds automatically without even realising it ?
    Kam.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While this might make for great Sci-Fi, it would not be possible. We are talking about sensors, not about a device capable of sending signals to your brain. It's like saying I could hack into the computer of your car and drive you off a cliff. icon_wink.gif

Was kidding. :)
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    And I thought the H1N1 virus was bad. This gives a whole new meaning to virus, I can see it now, every fall we have to get an injection of McAfee.

Or will i get hacked by someone and be made to beat myself up icon_razz.gif

What were the 3 laws of robots in I Robot hmmmmmmm
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Imagine supporting end users who've adopted this...
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Will the certification have to include internal medicine as well?
  • Options
    royal wrote: »
    Was kidding. :)

I know. But there will actually be people who believe that.
  • Options
    Whilst it isn't a brain chip, apparently there are wireless configured pacemakers on the market which don't have any authentication on their interfaces.
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□

Most people wouldn't until the technology gets to the point where it has direct health benefits (e.g. the possibility of life extension, countering Alzheimer, etc).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    This technology will be driven by people like Dynamik and their love of p orn :D

This. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    This. icon_redface.gif
    Just make sure you train yourself well and ensure that your mind never ever wanders o.O
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Sepiraph wrote: »
    Most people wouldn't until the technology gets to the point where it has direct health benefits (e.g. the possibility of life extension, countering Alzheimer, etc).

I still don't think people really 'want' this sort of thing, even if there could be benefits. We are meant to die at some point, extending life for the sake of doing so isn't desired by all. Some may want this, but I don't think it would be a majority. Money will run out at some point, or one would need to extend their 'working' years beyond their 70's.

Just looking around today, I'm not seeing that many people who act like they have something to live for, but are merely getting by and not really enjoying what they have now...would they want to extend that 20-30 more years?

Not sure, but that's not really covered and I'm not looking to get into a philosophical discussion right now (no time to type out the debate).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Just make sure you train yourself well and ensure that your mind never ever wanders o.O

Why are you feeding me chocolate-covered strawberries!?

Oh, sorry. Still beta testing...
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I still don't think people really 'want' this sort of thing, even if there could be benefits.

I want it now. Seriously.

Definitely a controversial topic...I'd recommend reading Kurzweil to see where all of this is heading, as well as some of the different perspectives on all of it:

Amazon.com: The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology (9780143037880): Ray Kurzweil: Books

What I find most amusing about the discussion about implantable technology is that it often ignores that we've been doing this for years already. Pacemakers, auditory implants, etc.. It's all been happening for quite some time, in fact, as a species I would say that we are right at the cusp of being transhuman. In another 20-30 years we will likely be completely merged with our technology, and will cease to be the same species that we are now.

Personally I don't think it's a matter of whether any of us want it or not, that's a choice. The reality is the train is coming and I think it's one of those things that we all must decide will we get on board or get run over by it.
    We are meant to die at some point, extending life for the sake of doing so isn't desired by all.

I'm not sure that I agree, I would say it's more that our current level of technology wears out after a certain amount of time. If we're all meant to die, then why would we ever seek any kind of medical treatment...why not just let nature run it's course?
    Some may want this, but I don't think it would be a majority. Money will run out at some point, or one would need to extend their 'working' years beyond their 70's.

I think at first you're right. It will seem repulsive. There will however be early adopters. Once the benefits are clear, the side effects are worked-out and the cost decreases, you will see people in droves implanting technology.

Personally I think it will start with something rather innocuous, like improved vision through some type of eye-implant, or some type of heads-up display that's part of an eye-implant.

Around the same time, I think we'll start to see nano-scale machines that can fight disease. I think a lot of people will jump on that bandwagon.

One of the most interesting things that I've read about is the respirocyte. Respirocyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Cool idea.

If I could be 70 and feel and look like I'm 20 why not? Why not continue working until I'm 150? Why not have several careers? My personal thought is that at some point in the next 30 years or so, most "careers" will not look anything like they do now. "Careers" will be focused on generating more and more knowledge over time.
    Just looking around today, I'm not seeing that many people who act like they have something to live for, but are merely getting by and not really enjoying what they have now...would they want to extend that 20-30 more years?

Wow that's harsh.

I'd say we're at the exponential part of the curve, where our ability to create an intelligence that will ultimately surpass our own is being realized.

MS
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another thing that I think is really cool is this:

RepRapOneDarwin < Main < Reprap

Think of where this will be in 10 years....

Anyone on here messed around with this?

MS
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I still don't think people really 'want' this sort of thing, even if there could be benefits. We are meant to die at some point, extending life for the sake of doing so isn't desired by all. Some may want this, but I don't think it would be a majority. Money will run out at some point, or one would need to extend their 'working' years beyond their 70's.

Not sure, but that's not really covered and I'm not looking to get into a philosophical discussion right now (no time to type out the debate).

How about for people with total lock-in syndrome? In those cases, these type of BMI (Brain-machine interface) may be their only way to communicate with the outside world:

Rom Houben: Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious all along | Mail Online

Locked-in syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also know one guy who suffered a partial locked-in after a stroke and he couldn't talk for awhile (although he is ok for now).