Options

Looking for Help/Info on OpenVPN network

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does anyone have any experience with OpenVPN ? I found a volunteer opportunity in MN for a organization that is looking for someone to maintain and support OpenVPN, I would really like to take on this opportunity on, but I have no idea where to start. I have done some research, and it looks like a majority of the operating systems that are supported by OpenVPN are linux based, but maybe I’m wrong. I have been talking to executive director for the organization, here’s the letter.
Hello

Thanks for your reply and for letting me know your experience.

Here is a link to openvpn..

Welcome to OpenVPN

If you have a moment, can you take a look at it and see if it is something of interest to you that you think you can pick up and have an ongoing interest in supporting and maintaining?

Thanks,

Thanks in advance for any help
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does anyone have any experience with OpenVPN ? I found a volunteer opportunity in MN for a organization that is looking for someone to maintain and support OpenVPN, I would really like to take on this opportunity on, but I have no idea where to start. I have done some research, and it looks like a majority of the operating systems that are supported by OpenVPN are linux based, but maybe I’m wrong. I have been talking to executive director for the organization, here’s the letter.
    Hello

Thanks for your reply and for letting me know your experience.

Here is a link to openvpn..

Welcome to OpenVPN

If you have a moment, can you take a look at it and see if it is something of interest to you that you think you can pick up and have an ongoing interest in supporting and maintaining?

Thanks,

Thanks in advance for any help

It supports Windows, Mac and Linux.

If you really want to know it you might want to start here :

OpenVPN: Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks

or here:
    Documentation

In the coming weeks/months I will be studying Linux/Unix and openvpn is on my todo list (along with openldap and many others). I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    OpenVPN is a pretty decent program. It is cross-platform and much simpler than many VPN implementations. It only requires 1 port (1194 by default) for the connection. I don't think it's something you'd have trouble picking up (unless supporting that particular network is a pain in the rear).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got a basic setup going in a couple of hours. It's a great solution. I was just playing around in a test lab, so you'll probably want to spend a bit more time with it for what you're doing. It can be daunting at first, but just go through the tutorial step-by-step, and it's not too bad.