Options

which direction at 39?

chanrattchanratt Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently a tradesman here in mass (plasterer to be exact), and while work is still available, it's hard to get more than a 3 day week atm. For the last 10 years I have developed a great passion for computers...upgrading, building repairing, that sort of thing, and while that doesn't qualify for anything, I would like to get into this field in a couple of different ways. In my trade you can make a lot of money in a small amount of time, but it's so spread out it averages out to where it's hard to make ends meet.
So, my plan is, to repair and maintain pc's on my spare time. I have already done a couple of jobs in the local area which provided some nice pocket money, but I would like to have at least 4 computers a week to work on during my down time.
At some point I would like to move into a more stable environment like a full time Network tech job (i dont even know the correct job title to google). I realize for these 'plans' I need at least a+ and n+. I already have a company that want to hire me just o maintain their network and computer maintenance in general on a part time/'we'll call you when we need you' basis.
So, my question is, what other things should I look at. Is there anyone else here with a similar story that can offer advice? I can always do small plastering jobs to make extra money so the 'money' question isn't really that relevant.
thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have...

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chanratt wrote: »
    At some point I would like to move into a more stable environment like a full time Network tech job (i dont even know the correct job title to google). I realize for these 'plans' I need at least a+ and n+. I already have a company that want to hire me just o maintain their network and computer maintenance in general on a part time/'we'll call you when we need you' basis.

Sounds like you have a desired direction and that is good. Knock off the Network+ and A+, then head down the MCITP route. If you are really motivated it really shouldn't take you that long. This of course depends upon how much time you have. If you have a family than this could take longer.

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)

Welcome to TE by the way... :)
  • Options
    chanratt where in MA are you. Look in the yellow pages or online for small computer repair places local to you. See if they are looking for any help or maybe see if you can work for free a few hours per week in exchange for learning the ropes. Also, go for the certs not only to have them but to help build the foundation. Start from scratch and build upon that you will eventually get there

Good luck and do not hesitate to use this forum icon_thumright.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What direction? Forward and upward. Associate with positive people because the negative ones will try and drag you down. I started in IT when I was 29 working in a home improvement store selling power tools if that says anything ;)
  • Options
    chanratt where in MA are you. Look in the yellow pages or online for small computer repair places local to you. See if they are looking for any help or maybe see if you can work for free a few hours per week in exchange for learning the ropes. Also, go for the certs not only to have them but to help build the foundation. Start from scratch and build upon that you will eventually get there

Good luck and do not hesitate to use this forum icon_thumright.gif

thanks for all the replies. i love a fast forum. Bill , i am from clinton but ireland originally. judging by your Everton sig ur not from around here either??
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    What direction? Forward and upward. Associate with positive people because the negative ones will try and drag you down. I started in IT when I was 29 working in a home improvement store selling power tools if that says anything ;)

Dude, at 27 your making me feel a little better LOL.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I was a golf pro, club professional, for almost 20 years before I decided to go into IT. I have a computer science degree but it predates networking. So I went back to school and completed an Associates in Computer Technology with a networking track. Then I moved into certifications, see signature. I have been doing contract jobs as the IT field in my area isn't the best right now. I keep looking and I'm confident as the economy turns so will the job opportunities. BTW, I'll be 42 in September. Age is no factor if you like what you do! Good luck and welcome to TE!
  • Options
    very inspired so far. I'm also have a journalism diploma and I was going to get back into that, but after a lot of research and a lot of doom and gloom on forums about how writing for a living was a sinking ship, I forgot about it. That was years ago, but happily a lot of the tech forums are full of people who seem to be very positive 'and' realistic. Thanks guys.

Another question, i have the passport book edition 3, and the 2003 comptia a+ book. i realise these are both extremely out of date. Are there new editions coming out soon? should I wait for them of just get the latest edition?
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chanratt wrote: »
    very inspired so far. I'm also have a journalism diploma and I was going to get back into that, but after a lot of research and a lot of doom and gloom on forums about how writing for a living was a sinking ship, I forgot about it. That was years ago, but happily a lot of the tech forums are full of people who seem to be very positive 'and' realistic. Thanks guys.

Another question, i have the passport book edition 3, and the 2003 comptia a+ book. i realise these are both extremely out of date. Are there new editions coming out soon? should I wait for them of just get the latest edition?

I’m not sure about the passport book, but I do know that the A+ book you’re referencing to is out of date. I put a link up to the Comp Tia certification page were you can download the objectives.
    Download Exam Objectives
    The new 2009 A+ has new exam code numbers, the numbers are 701, and 702
    Here are the books that I’m using are the CompTIA A+ Complete Certification Kit(Exams 220-701 and 220-702)
    Quentin Docter, Emmett Dulaney, Toby Skandier, James Pyles
    ISBN: 978-0-470-48647-4
    Paperback
    2160 pages
    October 2009
    CompTIA A+ 2009: CompTIA A+ Complete Certification Kit(Exams 220-701 and 220-702) - Book Information - Sybex
    If you go to Amazon, you can find this book, by searching for the title. Make sure it says that it covers exams 701, and 702

CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Practice Questions Exam Cram, Adobe Reader
    InformIT: CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Practice Questions Exam Cram, Adobe Reader
    Good luck on the test!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just make sure you look at the local IT market first before spend time on certification. Also, a techncial degree will help.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Chanratt actually I am born and raised in MA. My daughter is in the US affiliate of Everton (and totally depreased after Everton got spanked by Man U. 3 - 0) I am not far from you in North Reading. Shoot me an email to bill_donahue@cable.comcast.com and maybe I can help
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif