Options

MCSE 2003 Track Question

I guess this would be a question for someone who's on track for a MCSE 2003, or better yet for someone already a 2003 MCSE. Ok, basically I'm planning on taking 70-291 later this week and I'm feeling pretty confident about the exam. My initial plan after passing 70-291 was to go ahead with my elective, which is 70-350 (ISA 2004) so I could have my MCSA. But I've been told that 70-293 is like the bigger brother of 70-291. That it's basically over the same material except in more detail. And the only thing being different is the Clustering. So my question is, after taking 70-291 should I skip my elective for now and go ahead and start working (studying) for 70-293 while the information from 70-291 will still be fresh in my head? In hopes I could get through 70-293 easier? Thanks in advance.
Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd do them back-to-back if I were you. Isn't PKI also introduced in 293? While there's a lot of overlap, there's also a decent amount of new material. Some people feel that 293 is the more difficult of the two; it depends on the person.
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As Dynamik said. the 293 material includes PKI, clustering and NLB. None of these were mentioned in the 291.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    As Dynamik said. the 293 material includes PKI,

Then it must be the more difficult one. God knows I hate PKI icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    MattMcNabbMattMcNabb Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree that it would probably be wise to take the 291 and 293 back-to-back. Also, if the 290 is still pretty fresh in your mind I would go ahead with the 294 since they are very similar.

I took the exams in this order: 620, 290, 291, 350. The reason for this was to go ahead and get my MCSA and because that's the order we studied them in class. I'm now studying the 294 and while it's not that hard to get back into the AD mindset, it would have been nice to take them one after the other.
    “It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did the MCSA first before doing 293, and I would recommend doing 293 first and not worrying about MCSA. You'll need to learn PKI, Clustering, and NLB, but you'll have IPSec, DNS, RRAS, and IP addressing fresh in your memory from 291.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Cool, thanks for the advice everyone. I just may take the path and go for 293 next. I'd really like this get this exam knocked out anyway, because it's what scares me the most. But I'm gonna officially take 291 Wednesday. And yeah Matt, the training course I attended (ComputerTraining.Edu) had us do the same thing, do 350 right after 291. It didn't apply to me because I was still working on 290 at that time. And I can't wait to get to 294, because AD is one of my strong points. So hopefully it'll all work out in the end :D.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....