Options

Subnet & RDP

We can only RDP into other's sets if they are behind the same router as us.. (or the same network)

Now does this mean I could RDP into your computer if we are behind the same router but on different subnets? (or does being on a different subnet qualify as being on a seperate network?)

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    We have over 90 subnets at work, behind different routers, and I can RDP across into any of them except 1 because that one has 3389 blocked via a Cisco PIX.
  • Options
    DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    Okay, then how do you RDP into another set if it's behind NAT?
    The private IP technically doesn't exist, since it's hidden behind NAT. so how would you get into it?
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    with the private ip address... assuming you have routing between the sites. ??? pretty straight forward.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    with the private ip address... assuming you have routing between the sites. ??? pretty straight forward.

What do you mean? How is that straight forward? IF these routers are using NAT, then how would that work?
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote: »

Please look at my attachment. It should make my question very clear.
  • Options
    Because internal routing tables exist between the sites. It isnt routing outside the giant VLAN and asking the public IP where the internal IP is.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    It isnt routing outside the giant VLAN and asking the public IP where the internal IP is.

That's exactly what it's doing; he even drew a picture.

You'd use port forwarding or establish an internal connection via a VPN.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

Don't lie Dynamik. You'd use a chip implant in the brain to think what you want it to do and it then just works.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

Apparently I need to look into a CCNA or something.

BTW, Thread Stalkers are the worst kind of annoying.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote: »
    Don't lie Dynamik. You'd use a chip implant in the brain to think what you want it to do and it then just works.

We've already established what happens when I try that method. I really don't think that's the solution he's looking for...
  • Options
    BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wait a second so you have the same subnet on 2 different networks ?
    i am assuming there is no VPN if there is a VPN how are you doing that ? QinQ ? some dodgy VPN tech ?
    if you have a VPN and there are different IP ranges at different sites then you can RDP to the IP address no problem.
    If you are on 2 different sites and for some reason are not connected VIA VPN you would use NAT/PAT from the outside address of the Target site to what ever you want internaly.
    or you would bounce off a single server on that site or however many Servers you have real world IP's for and 1 to 1 nating's.

you can have 1 Real IP address on the out side and have say port
    40001, 40002, 40003, nat'ed to
    192.168.10.1:3389
    192.168.10.2:3389
    192.168.10.3:3389

all this would mean is when you rdp not only do you enter the external IP you also enter the port like so
    68.105.10.42:40001 = 192.168.10.1

You could probably do with reading up on NAT as it is what makes the world gor round.

J