Options

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

wiebwieb Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Time delay

As a practise I linked up 2 PC's with XP prof, on one of them (the host) I configured ICS. Problem is than when the client wants to access files on the host there is a delay. It takes about 5 seconds before I can start to browse the file structure. This delay occurs only when I start to browse the first time. After the delay the perfomance is OK.

greetz
Wieb

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    When you say ICS, I am assuming you mean with 2 NICS & a Cross-over cable, right? What are your settings for ICS, what is the host & client PC speeds..If its going to be a problem for you just kill the ICS and setup a router w/ a switch.
  • Options
    wiebwieb Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I know that there are better alternatives. But that is not what THIS is about. So I stay with ICS.

Can I speed things up modifying the host file? Or is it possible the adjust (via the registry?) the DNS or DHCP which are part of ICS?

greetz
    Wieb
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Windows XP is notorius for taking it's time joining a network. If it only happens when you first connect, there probably isn't much you can do.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    wieb wrote:
    Time delay

As a practise I linked up 2 PC's with XP prof, on one of them (the host) I configured ICS. Problem is than when the client wants to access files on the host there is a delay. It takes about 5 seconds before I can start to browse the file structure. This delay occurs only when I start to browse the first time. After the delay the perfomance is OK.

greetz
    Wieb

Why using ICS for files access? ICS used for internet connection sharing and files sharing of course if you share files from host. but if you only need to access files from PC... you do not need to check the ICS option in TCIP/IP properties...
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Windows XP is notorius for taking it's time joining a network. If it only happens when you first connect, there probably isn't much you can do.

Yup