Options

Top IT Trends for 2009 - CertMag

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I dont know about everyone else but those salary surveys always look like a bunch of way inflated numbers.

MCDST's, for example, make about 25,000$ in this area...not 62,000.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yahoo TOP 6 growing jobs for 2010 - 2016

6 Fast-Growing Careers - Yahoo! Education

look at number one icon_smile.gif the pay seems about right i believe. I think many jobs may pay more around 80k to 100k
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    That ones a bit inflated too. Except the counselor one is about right.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I dont know about everyone else but those salary surveys always look like a bunch of way inflated numbers.

Yeah, I don't think they are properly cleansing their data. Although it's in their interests to portray certs in as positive a light as possible.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From Page 5:

"Fun Fact"

"Some time back I was helping my younger brother with DVD writing, but as I played the software I noticed it wasn't working. I tried in vain to fix it all evening, when at last I noticed that the mode was not changed to DVD!"

That sounds like about as much fun as watching Dynamik play pick-up-sticks with his butt cheeks.

MS
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

The problem with these kind of surveys is that it's based on the certification and not the actual job role of the person.

For example a 3rd line Engineer who has a MCDST will earn alot more than a 1st line support helpdesk person with a MCDST, but because it's averaged out it will appear "enhanced".

I always take surveys with a pinch of salt.

-ken
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    From Page 5:

"Fun Fact"

"Some time back I was helping my younger brother with DVD writing, but as I played the software I noticed it wasn't working. I tried in vain to fix it all evening, when at last I noticed that the mode was not changed to DVD!"

That sounds like about as much fun as watching Dynamik play pick-up-sticks with his butt cheeks.

MS

hahaha icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    The problem with these kind of surveys is that it's based on the certification and not the actual job role of the person.

For example a 3rd line Engineer who has a MCDST will earn alot more than a 1st line support helpdesk person with a MCDST, but because it's averaged out it will appear "enhanced".

I always take surveys with a pinch of salt.

-ken
    Did anyone catch if the salaries were mean or median?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I'm pretty sure the inflated numbers are so their advertisers are more likely to sell you that fancy new online degree/cert.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did anyone catch if the salaries were mean or median?

The salaries listed are averages.

I'd like to see the median, but what I'd prefer is the sample population for each certification listed.

IMO we're unlikely to see that information, as it would likely show that the conclusions in this article are on shaky statistical ground.

MS
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    CCENT $63,420 icon_lol.gif

Rackers and stackers for that much? I doubt it!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm always amazed how topics change on TE icon_wink.gif

Here I was intrigued with outlooks for 2010, and everybody goes for the wages section icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am pretty happy seeing those numbers for what I do career wise. Of course I might have to move out of state if I want to progress any higher.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote: »

Don't hate. Some sports are simply more fun to play than they are to watch...
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the inflated numbers are so their advertisers are more likely to sell you that fancy new online degree/cert.

The problem is that they're not taking a person's other certifications, degrees, or experience into account. I bet a lot of people with advanced certs also have an A+. You think they're skewing the data at all?
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    A CCNA Voice with ~85k/year?? WOW...Im in the wrong country!! I got my CCNA Voice and it hasnt even got me an interview!

I agree that there are way too many things that could be ignored and not weighted., but still...
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    outsider73outsider73 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These are bull$hits numbers. Respondants are all over the world and there are only 5 countries which pay as much as USA. For the same position, in France, they "cannot" pay me half what I was earning in US...
    Totally true: it would be much more interesting to survey the position and the certifications to determine the real value of this certification = but it's too difficult to determine.
    Someone who started with a MCDST, then who got a MCSA, then a MCSE, and finally now who is MCTS: which certification will he give to the survey: all, one, the last one???