Power Supply = DEAD!

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all!

I just got my computer out of storage, thinking that I shouldn't have stored it now.

When I went to turn my computer on, it didn't do anything.

THEN... I saw smoke coming out of the back (the psu fan wasn't running).

Turned it off, then back on, some sparks came out and a tiny flame.

I'm thinking that it's officially dead. I'm wondering, what caused this?

Do you think it got damp?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How were the conditions in which it was stored, and how long was it removed from storage prior to being turned on?

What kind of power supply was this also? There are an awful lot of very very poorly made power supplies out there that run into this sort of problem (regardless of being stored) fairly often.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    You let the magic escape! You should have captured the smoke in a bag to see if you can put it back in.

Seriously, who knows what may have gotten into the power supply. Insects or such.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    As unsupported said, anything could have gotten inside. To find out you'd have to take it apart and I don't recommend doing that unless you know what you're doing.

You may have killed the rest of the PC though. The dying PSU could have done anything to the output so don't be too surprised if stuff doesn't work if/when you replace the PSU.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You let the magic escape! You should have captured the smoke in a bag to see if you can put it back in.

LOL! icon_lol.gif
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Same thing happened on a Dell many years ago. The tech informed the customer that they forgot to load "nosmoke.exe" in their autoexec.bat file and they might need to contact MS for an updated version.

One of the best tech support calls ever posted on the web.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's been in storage for about 1 1/2. I don't think it got damp in there but some type of moisture could have got in there.

The computer has been in my house for 2 months now. So if it were damp, it'll be gone by now.

The power supply brand was "Power Up". 550W.

I am hoping and praying to the gods with all my fingers and toes crossed that it didn't kill the rest of my computer.

Oh, and I also heard a low frequency sound when I plugged it in.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Inspect the Capacitors on the MOBO too, if there was dampness...they may have burst/corroded too.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • You let the magic escape! You should have captured the smoke in a bag to see if you can put it back in.

No joke, some guy at CompUSA tried to tell me this when purchasing a power supply there...he told me that the smoke was also blue. He literally tried to convince me that my power supply would work again if I did that. I don't think he was joking with me either...lol