Options

New Job

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm not sure whether this would considered a new job, a promotion, or a transfer. It's with the same state government I've been working for the last year, but it's in a different department, at a higher pay grade, and I had to interview for it like everyone else. Semantics don't matter though because I'm ecstatic.

This marks my return to systems and network administration from a year of helpdesk (kind of a complicated story). I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing but a couple of the big projects that were mentioned in the interview were a few dozen vSphere deployments and deploying ASAs to encrypt sensitive traffic, both of which sound great to me.

I think this is the first time certifications actually helped me get a job. Maybe, not directly, but most of the technical interview questions were about virtualization and networking, and I'm not sure whether I would have known the answers as well as I do if I hadn't studied for the VCP and CCNP. These forums have always been a great resource, so I dare say being a member here also contributed to my getting the job.

Anyway, thanks for reading, good luck to everyone else looking for a job/transfer/promotion.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether this would considered a new job, a promotion, or a transfer. It's with the same state government I've been working for the last year, but it's in a different department, at a higher pay grade, and I had to interview for it like everyone else. Semantics don't matter though because I'm ecstatic.

This marks my return to systems and network administration from a year of helpdesk (kind of a complicated story). I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing but a couple of the big projects that were mentioned in the interview were a few dozen vSphere deployments and deploying ASAs to encrypt sensitive traffic, both of which sound great to me.

I think this is the first time certifications actually helped me get a job. Maybe, not directly, but most of the technical interview questions were about virtualization and networking, and I'm not sure whether I would have known the answers as well as I do if I hadn't studied for the VCP and CCNP. These forums have always been a great resource, so I dare say being a member here also contributed to my getting the job.

Anyway, thanks for reading, good luck to everyone else looking for a job/transfer/promotion.

Hells yea. Is there a good salary increase (you don't have to name specifics)? Also is the job going to dictate what certs you will go after next (if you have thought about it yet)?

Congrats man. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations there Sir, on a job well done !!

Sounds like you'll be working on some exciting projects, you fully deserve it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Grats.

Government entitys always come up with some enormous and really fun projects to work on.

Im deploying so many random and different things over the next few months its not even funny, but you can't buy that kind of experience.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks guys!
    knwminus wrote: »
    Is there a good salary increase (you don't have to name specifics)? Also is the job going to dictate what certs you will go after next (if you have thought about it yet)?

Salary increase is pretty decent, the state doesn't pay as well as a private company might, but it's stable employment and the benefits are good.

Haven't really thought about certs, near term I'll probably keep focused on my Bachelor's, but if I end up working with the ASAs I might move the CCSP up in my list of goals.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Congrats!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    routepoisonroutepoison Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kalebksp wrote: »

I've noticed the same thing. After finishing my JNCIA I started getting more interviews recently.

Congratulations! And good luck.