Fingerprint Scanner

hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
Can anyone recommend a fingerprint scanner?

I often am logged in using RDP and to file shares, and I use multiple accounts with different priveledges on each one. My passwords are long and I get sick of typing them in all the time. So I'm wondering if I can assign finger 1 = account 1 and finger 2 = account 2, etc.

Anyone know of something like this?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a fingerprint scanner?
    Most fingerprint scanners are easily fooled. The current "best" appears to be the ones which can see the veins in your finger and use that to generate your print.

You shouldn't rely on just a single biometric device as your security though. Two factor authentication should be the minimum if these are important accounts. Doesn't help with what you want to do tho :P
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    I often am logged in using RDP and to file shares, and I use multiple accounts with different priveledges on each one. My passwords are long and I get sick of typing them in all the time. So I'm wondering if I can assign finger 1 = account 1 and finger 2 = account 2, etc.
    You can assign different fingers to different accounts yes. The software doesn't know that they're the same person.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can sometimes use a piece of gum to pick up a fingerprint that's on there and get it to accept that icon_lol.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    You can sometimes use a piece of gum to pick up a fingerprint that's on there and get it to accept that icon_lol.gif

I prefer the old cut off their finger and use the stub method myself. It has a much cooler effect for retinal scans though..
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    I prefer the old cut off their finger and use the stub method myself. It has a much cooler effect for retinal scans though..

Demolition Man style?

But seriously, I agree with the previous posters. They are (too) easily fooled, and two factor authentication (to prevent fooling them) would put you right back where you are now.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is exactly why I don't want my body parts being keys to sensitive data... icon_eek.gif
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    This is exactly why I don't want my body parts being keys to sensitive data... icon_eek.gif
    Whilst hopefully the risk of somebody physically chopping off a body part to bypass your security is low, the other major problem is that you have a limited number of body parts. If your actual fingerprints or the data gets compromised in some manner then it is a difficult to get more past the initial 10. Unless of course you take your shoe & sock off each time you want to log in. Nothing will keep people away from your PC like a toe print scanner and a big can of athletes foot spray :D