Options

Losing job...

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hope everyone is doing well. I have been with a computertraining school that will remain nameless for about a year now. I received word on Monday that they will be closing 11 of the 26 schools they have open after the currently running classes end. My school happened to be one of them. My fiancee and I have peppered dice, monster, careerbuilder, craigslist, and usajobs with resumes. I have noticed a trend though. It seems like the jobs paying the big bucks (6 figures) are jobs where someone is a networker (admin or engineer) and a developer of some sort (.net, SQL, etc). Have you guys noticed this or am I seeing things? It makes sense for these types to make more money, but the question is now, what languages are in demand? Should I go back to classes in programming? Do you think getting a linux cert in addition to my MS and Cisco background would give me a better chance at making more money? My current job does pay 6 figures, and my life style has adjusted to this pay rate. I would like to definitely wrap up some more certs in the down time I'm about to have. I was thinking I'll wrap up my CCNP, then take the 70-680, and then who knows.
"Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're not a developer, SQL Admin, or engineer, and you're currently making 6 figures? What IS your current job?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Although I'm curious about the answer to blargoe's question as well... I think this may help you.

I'm speaking in my experience and opinions only, which will differ from person to person... And I'm speaking in generalities.

But basically the programmers normally make more money than the network/system admins/engineers. Development seems to be in more demand than the other jobs... And if you are really good at programming, you have more opporutunity to become an architect in a company... If you get into the design field, like network design (CCIE) or system design then you make more than programmers/admins/engineers.

But you can't just go get a programming cert and start making 6 figures at a company being their high level programmer. You have to earn reputation and get experience behind your belt... This will be the normal track to get your salary increased to 6 figures in most IT careers.

Only the lucky skip around to high paying jobs... In the right spot at the right time kind of thing.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    blargoe wrote: »
    You're not a developer, SQL Admin, or engineer, and you're currently making 6 figures? What IS your current job?

seriously?

These are the only three roles that make over 100k?

MS
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    seriously?

These are the only three roles that make over 6 figures?

MS

He did put engineer in there, so as long as you add engineer to the end of the title it is acceptable to make six figures.

Based on jimmypizzle83's profile I would say he's a technical trainer, in which case six figures isn't surprising.

Are you trying to get out of training or are you just not seeing a lot of jobs available in that area?
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    He did put engineer in there, so as long as you add engineer to the end of the title it is acceptable to make six figures.

The sarcasm didn't come out in my comment.

I was being a smartass because Blargoe's response read to me like this: "If you're not doing one of these three roles, then how is it possible that you're making over 100k?"

I can off-hand think of at least a dozen other IT roles where people regularly make over 100k. You've pointed out at least one of them. Given more time we could probably come up with several more.

MS
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□

It did, but apparently it didn't in mine.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□

Based on jimmypizzle83's profile I would say he's a technical trainer, in which case six figures isn't surprising.

Are you trying to get out of training or are you just not seeing a lot of jobs available in that area?

Man I knew I should've taken that job as a Sanitation Engineer!!!! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    It did, but apparently it didn't in mine.

I thought it might have been, but wasn't certain...

Damn these communication mediums where I cannot see body language, hear voice tone, or pick up on other subtleties that aid in understanding communication...

MS
  • Options
    moberlander08moberlander08 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also speaking from my experience, programmers do make more then networkers/admins and they are usually in more demand depending on the area. However there will always be a need to admin staff to keep equipment running and deal with the disasters that happen.

If you want to get into administration, do both Microsoft and Linux because Microsoft is everywhere and with Linux experience you should be able to run Unix without to much difficulty.

If programming is your calling try C++, Java or C# those three languages are in demand and used quite commonly.

Also decide if you are working in IT for the money or because you like doing what you do.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »

Technical Trainer.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Mishra wrote: »
    Although I'm curious about the answer to blargoe's question as well... I think this may help you.

I'm speaking in my experience and opinions only, which will differ from person to person... And I'm speaking in generalities.

But basically the programmers normally make more money than the network/system admins/engineers. Development seems to be in more demand than the other jobs... And if you are really good at programming, you have more opporutunity to become an architect in a company... If you get into the design field, like network design (CCIE) or system design then you make more than programmers/admins/engineers.

But you can't just go get a programming cert and start making 6 figures at a company being their high level programmer. You have to earn reputation and get experience behind your belt... This will be the normal track to get your salary increased to 6 figures in most IT careers.

Only the lucky skip around to high paying jobs... In the right spot at the right time kind of thing.

I majored in programming during my undergrad. I was having a really hard time finding a job in development so I started moving into the networking realm and doors started opening up. I know I'm not going to just jump into a 6 figure job in development, but I just started noticing a trend of a lot of jobs wanting a developer/networker. I see students graduating from my program making anywhere from 25000 to 100000, but it always is right time, right place. I do have experience in the network admin and engineering realm. That's where I started. I worked at a company for awhile as their everything guy. I was offered a job in training and it was considerably more than what I was making in the other job so I left. I love IT. I love all facets of it. I haven't come across many everything people in my career, but it just seems like that is common place according to recruiters. When I say everything people, I mean network engineer/admin with programming abilities.
  • Options

Well, I love all of IT. I've really enjoyed every job I've had in IT. I also am addicted to getting certified in different areas. I am not seeing a lot of jobs in training. Plus, I kind of miss being in the field.
  • Options
    I am also speaking from my experience, programmers do make more then networkers/admins and they are usually in more demand depending on the area. However there will always be a need to admin staff to keep equipment running and deal with the disasters that happen.

If you want to get into administration, do both Microsoft and Linux because Microsoft is everywhere and with Linux experience you should be able to run Unix without to much difficulty.

If programming is your calling try C++, Java or C# those three languages are in demand and used quite commonly.

Also decide if you are working in IT for the money or because you like doing what you do.

Hope that helps.

That is very good information. I've just really enjoyed everything I've done it IT so its hard to pick for me. I definitely think training isn't my real calling though. I've been in IT awhile so I'm not under the illusion that it will ever make me rich. I just would like to keep the lifestyle I've become accustomed to.
  • Options
    thanks for the input guys.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□

I was being a smartass because Blargoe's response read to me like this: "If you're not doing one of these three roles, then how is it possible that you're making over 100k?"

I can off-hand think of at least a dozen other IT roles where people regularly make over 100k. You've pointed out at least one of them. Given more time we could probably come up with several more.

MS

I got the sarcasm ;)

I got the feeling from the first post in the thread that the OP wasn't a high-level engineer of any sort, and was inquiring about development, SQL, etc., and didn't mention management experience, which led to my question. I always forget about the technical training angle.

A while back I think I had heard (I don't remember from whom... may have been a VMWare training blog or something) that VMWare trainers were still being sought after and well paid, and for someone like you, the only real requirement would be to score 85 or higher on the VCP exam to be considered for a role as an instructor with VMWare. Any other sought after technology might be similar... I don't know. I do think you'll have a hard time, at least in the near term, keeping up the 6-figure lifestyle, but hopefully you'll figure something out.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    The downturn in the economy has many businesses looking for a single person that can fill multiple roles. This is why you see (sometimes ridiculous) job adverts for an admin/programmer/DBA/writer/trainer/whatever. Three people are clearly needed by the business, but it can only afford to hire one, so they hope that someone will come along that fits their "dream employee" description the best. And the jack-of-all-trades that they hire usually won't be paid any better than if they only did one of those jobs. That's just the result of this current economic situation.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The downturn in the economy has many businesses looking for a single person that can fill multiple roles. This is why you see (sometimes ridiculous) job adverts for an admin/programmer/DBA/writer/trainer/whatever. Three people are clearly needed by the business, but it can only afford to hire one, so they hope that someone will come along that fits their "dream employee" description the best. And the jack-of-all-trades that they hire usually won't be paid any better than if they only did one of those jobs. That's just the result of this current economic situation.

You answered the question that I've been wondering about for months. I've also seen a long list of job duties that are "entry level" for helpdesk and I'm thinking that these duties aren't entry level.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

^This.

jimmypizzle83, you are absolutely correct in what you are finding with the higher paying jobs being highly specialized and asking for tons of experience. Its a result of the economic climate. Im not sure how much experience you have in areas other than training but if you cant come across a right time right place type of deal to get a 100k job you might have to take a substantial cut in pay to switch to a new area of IT and start gaining experience. I can say with your cert list though, you should be able to get contracts that pay the equivelent of 100k a year, like $50/HR + contracts.

I feel your pain though. Although thankfully Im not being layed off, I know at some point I may have to look for a job though and I have been looking and there are almost no entry level or mid level IT jobs around here. The jobs that are avaialable are like you said, highly specialized and requiring lots of experience. Also with what I do Ive pretty much reached the ceiling in income ($50k range) and to make more I need to specialize. Ive come to the realization that I will have to either move to programming and start at the bottom and work my way up or move to networking and start at the bottom and work my way up.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options

That is a very good point. I remember jobs just being more specialized when I first started in IT. Maybe I was just imagining things then. Oh well, I have an interview this Friday for a position close to home so hopefully it'll work out.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is a very good point. I remember jobs just being more specialized when I first started in IT. Maybe I was just imagining things then. Oh well, I have an interview this Friday for a position close to home so hopefully it'll work out.

If you're looking to make 6 figures in most markets you'll need alot more than mcse and ccna (i see you're pushing on in your cisco certs). The job market changed years ago after 01 when companies downsized there IT depts and off shored everything they could. MS admin positions are usually among the lowest paid in the industry now and will continue to be that way.
  • Options
    Well, had an interview on Friday for a position at a company near my house. It was one hell of an interview process. They had me do a logic test, then an interview with the IT mgr. I then had to configure an XP PC, install office, AV/Antispyware, static IP config,. configure outlook, field some mock phone calls, configure a linksys router for WPA, and configure port forwarding. Then I had an interview with the VP of IT and the Director. I was met at home with an email with a link to a personality assessment. Overall, it was about a 6 hour interview. I should know if I got it by the end of this week. Its for an Implementation engineer position. I would be gathering client IT requirements then configuring their entire network. I would have to implement/configure/support everything from their Cisco equipment to their SANs. They are huge on WMWare and Exchange deployments.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I then had to configure an XP PC, install office, AV/Antispyware, static IP config,. configure outlook, field some mock phone calls, configure a linksys router for WPA, and configure port forwarding.

lol if that is the test to get a 6 figure job, sign me up.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lol if that is the test to get a 6 figure job, sign me up.

No kidding... Sign me up icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    It isn't 100k, but it'll pay the bills. Its a pay cut, but I like the idea of being able to design networks/systems from the ground up. They pay for you to take tests, they give awesome bonuses for passing certs, free training, pay my cell phone bill, pay for travel to clients, employee lunches, and great benefits (dental/vision/401k). Also, they allow you to buy hardware and software at cost.