So how many questions can you get wrong on the test before failing ?

GeeLoGeeLo A+,N+,S+,M+,C+,CySA+,CCT+Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
So how many questions can you get wrong on the test before failing it ? Just wondering.. icon_silent.gif
Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)

Comments

  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    GeeLo wrote: »
    So how many questions can you get wrong on the test before failing it ? Just wondering.. icon_silent.gif

    Correct me if I am wrong, but the pass mark is set very high on the Security+ - 781 points or somewhere around there. Since CompTIA's questions have a different value for each question, it is hard to know how many you can get wrong. I recall reading that CompTIA throws about 10% extra questions on the exam that are considered "BETA" and are worth nothing. So, basically, if you get 10 questions wrong on this exam, you probably failed - that is just a rough guess.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need 750 on a scale of 100-900, so I think it's a little less rigid than that. I believe that exam has the highest pass mark of any CompTIA exam though.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    It's almost impossible to determine, but here's my theory :)

    Let's say the test has 90 questions totaling 800 points (on a scale from 100-900). Let's also say cryptography comprises 15% of the exam. I think they take 15% of the 800 points (120 points) and divide it among the cryptography questions. For example, on one test you have 3 cryptography questions, and those 3 questions equal 120 points. On another test, you have 20 cryptography questions, and those 20 questions equal 120 points total. Do you see where I'm going with this? I think the points are based on the number of questions from a domain relative to their percentage in the exam objectives.

    So as you can see from my first example, if you miss those 3 out of 3 cryptography questions then you're screwed. But in the second example, if you miss 3 questions out of 20, then you're still in good shape. All in all, I think each question from a domain is weighted differently, which makes calculating the maximum number of wrong questions before failing impossible because each exam is different.

    Of course, that's probably all BS, but it's something I was thinking about before I took this exam. Bottom line -- study hard and walk into the testing room with the eye of the tiger!
    Usus magister est optimus
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    apena7 wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to determine, but here's my theory :)

    Let's say the test has 90 questions totaling 800 points (on a scale from 100-900).

    You get a 100 points for spelling your name right :D
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    In layman's terms you need a 83 1/3% to pass, so by that you can miss 16 questions.

    Obviously because each question isn't weighted the same it may be more or less. but 16 can give you a good rule of thumb, especially if you are equally good or bad in all the areas.
  • GeeLoGeeLo A+,N+,S+,M+,C+,CySA+,CCT+ Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    abefroman wrote: »
    In layman's terms you need a 83 1/3% to pass, so by that you can miss 16 questions.

    Obviously because each question isn't weighted the same it may be more or less. but 16 can give you a good rule of thumb, especially if you are equally good or bad in all the areas.


    Thanks.. well that makes me feel a bit better.. that's gives a person somewhat of a shot to pass the exam. Another question, Are you the Sausage King of Chicago ? icon_wink.gif
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    GeeLo wrote: »
    Thanks.. well that makes me feel a bit better.. that's gives a person somewhat of a shot to pass the exam. Another question, Are you the Sausage King of Chicago ? icon_wink.gif

    I am the one and only sausage king!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    abefroman wrote: »
    I am the one and only sausage king!

    I don't judge anyone's lifestyle choices. I am proud of you for being so open and secure to admit that.
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    dynamik wrote: »
    I don't judge anyone's lifestyle choices. I am proud of you for being so open and secure to admit that.

    Lol, I take it your more of a bratwurst kinda guy then.
Sign In or Register to comment.