Options

CCNA: One test or two?

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
For those of you who have taken your test, or are working to take it like me. Do you plan to take the test in one sitting or two? I have always been told better to take one test and knock it out than to do it twice. Just wondering about your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I personally would prefer the two-exam route. If you're already really comfortable with all the exam content, then I can see the advantage of knocking it out in one sitting...but since there is a lot of info and since I'm not well-versed in all things Cisco, my plan (if I do the CCNA) is to go with two exams so I can focus on one set of objectives at a time & feel less overwhelmed.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    MY OWN OPINION - this is the only Cisco exam I would attempt to do as a single test. There is alot of repetitive stuff between ICND 1 and 2. It will also save you $150 if you pass. On th eother hand the ICND 1 is easier and would be quicker to get so you can get a cert under your belt quicker

JUST MY THOUGHTS icon_thumright.gif

Godd luck
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    skrpune wrote: »
    I personally would prefer the two-exam route. If you're already really comfortable with all the exam content, then I can see the advantage of knocking it out in one sitting...but since there is a lot of info and since I'm not well-versed in all things Cisco, my plan (if I do the CCNA) is to go with two exams so I can focus on one set of objectives at a time & feel less overwhelmed.

I agree, that is what I am doing right now. It easier to digest one bite at a time since I don't deal with Cisco on a daily basis. If I did I would go the single exam route.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go one exam. Not enough depth in any of the subjects to have to break it into two IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Really depends on your knowledge of the subject. If you never been around Cisco Equipment then the two test approach might be easier.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Depends on your comfort. I would recommend the one test option. I took it back in October and found it wasn't as bad as what most people say. I prepared for about eight months time, studying both portions ICND1 and ICND2, I could have probably taken it within 6 months.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're just starting out, you may want (and need) the CCENT as "resume filler" so the two exam option makes sense.

If you're an old pro finally knocking down some Cisco Certifications, you probably don't gain anything by doing 2 exams -- unless you think you may want to be a Cisco Instructor someday (or feel you also want that "extra certifcation" on your resume).

But unless Cisco/VUE is offering some sort of deal I haven't heard about, the one or two exam options now cost the same -- the only difference is the travel time (and added exam time) & gas you spend making two trips to the test center rather than one.

Not sure what the latest (or if there still is one) Cisco Network Academy voucher offer is....

When in doubt, I'd say go for the two exam option.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    napolean420napolean420 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i did the 2 exam path. i was so relieved to pass the first that i took 2 months off. i felt like i had to study alot more and forgot some pretty basic stuff. looking back i would take the 1 test. then again if you fail the on test path its more expensive. guess it depends on how comfortable you are with the material. i got the exact same score on both and didnt really find one harder than the other.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    MY OWN OPINION - this is the only Cisco exam I would attempt to do as a single test. There is alot of repetitive stuff between ICND 1 and 2. It will also save you $150 if you pass. On th eother hand the ICND 1 is easier and would be quicker to get so you can get a cert under your belt quicker

JUST MY THOUGHTS icon_thumright.gif

Godd luck

the ICND tests both cost half the price of the composite test, so there is no money saved
  • Options
    I appreciate all the input I think I will start studying as if to take it all in one test and after a month or so see how i feel about the material.
  • Options
    I stand correct (thanks Heero) in that case go for the CCENTicon_cheers.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    canthony1980canthony1980 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it is best to do two exam.

The first thing is they have got a lot of stuff for you to cover and if you havent got a networking back ground you would struggle.

Time is a big factor on the exam. Again it is a lot of content in one exam.

Also once you pass the icnd1 you become CCENT. That is a first step in the cisco world

This is my opinion.
  • Options
    KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    Hypotheticaly speaking.. If you feel really comfortable with the material..

do you want to take it in one sitting and get your CCNA, or two and have CCNA and CCENT?

I remember I told my co-worker, a (cisco) network engineer.. he was like.. whats CCENT? lol, he was like ohhh they broke it down into 2 exams.. just go for the 1.

what looks better on resume? CCENT and CCNA or CCNA? or does it really not matter?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    KoolTrix wrote: »
    what looks better on resume? CCENT and CCNA or CCNA? or does it really not matter?

I don't think hardly anyone who doesn't closely follow certifications, like the crowd here, really knows what a CCENT is. I doubt its going to help you much on a resume whether you have CCNA with it or not. A nation wide search for CCENT on Monster only brought up seven results.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Really CCNA is going to look better I mean you have a "higher" level certification than just the CCENT. But it also depends on where you are living. What your area is like. My area, you can't find anything making above $35,000 - $45,000 with a CCNA. Most require a degree and/or experience. I make more than that now working on a help desk, with no certificates and I haven't even finished my degree yet. I have moved on to the CCNP to obtain it. In my area most jobs run around $60,000 - $80,000 for CCNP with a degree and/or experience. The hard part is going to be finding somewhere that you can bust into if you don't have much experience in IT or even if you have some in IT, not much experience in networking. I guess it's just finding that lucky shot that you can be given a chance to prove yourself :)
  • Options
    Yea honestly I don't care about getting my CCENT, just my CCNA. Like stated before, I'm sure few HR people know what a CCNA is let alone a CCENT.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I chose to do the two exam route, and that's what I recommend to people without much experience. The cost is the same, so there's no financial benefit to doing the composite. Getting the CCENT is a nice bonus, but I don't think it has much value (yet?). For people with a decent amount of experience, or people recerting, I think the single exam makes more sense.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    I chose to do the two exam route, and that's what I recommend to people without much experience. The cost is the same, so there's no financial benefit to doing the composite. Getting the CCENT is a nice bonus, but I don't think it has much value (yet?). For people with a decent amount of experience, or people recerting, I think the single exam makes more sense.

Yeah, for people like me who can't get hands on except at home with bought 2501s and a 2950 it helps to be able to go a little slower. If I hand constant hands on I would definitely go for the CCNA. I am really hoping to find a Network job after I get the CCNA.