Options

Second interview

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So about 3 weeks ago I had an interivew with HR Administrator and IT Desktop Support Manager about a Desktop Support posistion I applied for within one company. I spoke for about an hour with each person and now 3 weeks later I got a call and they asked me to come in for an interview and I will be talking with their head IT Administrator on Monday. I was just wondering what will this interview be about? The desktop support manager already explained to me what my job will be about and spent a lot of time questioning me on technical stuff, while the HR person pretty much asked me about my background, goals, etc...Just a bit nervous and wanted to ask what you guys think.

Also, I don't know if I'm thinking too much into it but they promised that they'd call me the same week of my first interview to let me know where I stand but only called me 3 weeks later. I also gave them a call 2 weeks after the interview and asked about my status or if there was anything better I could've done on the interview but they didn't call me back that time either. I probably shouldn't be thinking too much about it but it's just something that's on my mind and I really wanted to ask your opinion on this as well.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    loss4words wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So about 3 weeks ago I had an interivew with HR Administrator and IT Desktop Support Manager about a Desktop Support posistion I applied for within one company. I spoke for about an hour with each person and now 3 weeks later I got a call and they asked me to come in for an interview and I will be talking with their head IT Administrator on Monday. I was just wondering what will this interview be about? The desktop support manager already explained to me what my job will be about and spent a lot of time questioning me on technical stuff, while the HR person pretty much asked me about my background, goals, etc...Just a bit nervous and wanted to ask what you guys think.

Also, I don't know if I'm thinking too much into it but they promised that they'd call me the same week of my first interview to let me know where I stand but only called me 3 weeks later. I also gave them a call 2 weeks after the interview and asked about my status or if there was anything better I could've done on the interview but they didn't call me back that time either. I probably shouldn't be thinking too much about it but it's just something that's on my mind and I really wanted to ask your opinion on this as well.

Thanks!

I'd expect some more techie questions, but probably more along the lines of trying to see how you think. For example, he might throw you a curve ball and ask a question he wouldn't expect you to know just to see your thought process.

That and probably a "social" interview... to see how you might mesh with the rest of the team.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anytime you are called back, it's a good thing.

Probably as much a social interview as much as a technical one. In the past when I as an administrator have been asked to interview helpdesk and desktop support candidates it has been from a standpoint of "will they fit in" first, since the initial interview would already have already gone through the actual technical skills (though, still expect technical questions and conversations)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Don't take the lack of a call back personnaly the HR staff's have been reduced so everything takes longer. I have to agree witht he others, there is alot of "social" aspects tot he folow up interviews. They want to make sure they hire someone that will fit in to the current team. Be outgoing, honest, respectful etc Kinda like a boy scout.

I would think you may get a few technical questions but it sounds like you already survived the "techncial" round

GOOD LUCK
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    Hi guys. So I think the interview went well and maybe I have a chance this time. The IT Director even asked about for how long I wanted to give notice to my current job so I think it's a good sign. Should I write another thank you letter to him? I already wrote one to the two people that I met 3 weeks ago, so I'm not sure if I have to do this for him as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed :)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi guys. So I think the interview went well and maybe I have a chance this time. The IT Director even asked about for how long I wanted to give notice to my current job so I think it's a good sign. Should I write another thank you letter to him? I already wrote one to the two people that I met 3 weeks ago, so I'm not sure if I have to do this for him as well.
    If you didn't already send him a card, go ahead and send it. Good luck.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Second that. I send out cards every time I meet someone new, no matter what. I had an interview for a job once that was in front of a panel of 9 people (it felt like I was on trial, but that's a story for another day) and sent out a card to each person. Well, a couple of months later, I got a random (or at least I thought it was random at the time) request to add someone to my linkedin account who turned out to be one of the guys on that panel of 9. He left that company to start a new company and wanted to know if I was interested. I of course was, and we agreed to meet. Well, at the meeting, he brought the card I had sent to him and said that it had made such an impression that he had to let me know that it was the reason why I had stayed in his thoughts. Every little thing you can do (without being obnoxious, of course) to keep their memory of you fresh helps!
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SrAtechie wrote: »
    Second that. I send out cards every time I meet someone new, no matter what. I had an interview for a job once that was in front of a panel of 9 people (it felt like I was on trial, but that's a story for another day) and sent out a card to each person. Well, a couple of months later, I got a random (or at least I thought it was random at the time) request to add someone to my linkedin account who turned out to be one of the guys on that panel of 9. He left that company to start a new company and wanted to know if I was interested. I of course was, and we agreed to meet. Well, at the meeting, he brought the card I had sent to him and said that it had made such an impression that he had to let me know that it was the reason why I had stayed in his thoughts. Every little thing you can do (without being obnoxious, of course) to keep their memory of you fresh helps!
    Wow that's cool! I've never received any comments or feedback about any of the many thank you cards/notes I've sent out... maybe it's my poor handwriting?? icon_lol.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    To be honest, and maybe that's why I'm not lucky with my job hunt, I have only sent thank you e-mails to my interviewers and have never sent a card. I just usually write a short e-mail thanking the person for their time, etc...maybe that's my downfall...
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262

Keeping my fingers crossed :)

You sound golden =)

I hope your answer to the notice thing was a "responsible" 2 weeks notice to square stuff away, etc. BS kinda answer ;)
  • Options
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    You sound golden =)

I hope your answer to the notice thing was a "responsible" 2 weeks notice to square stuff away, etc. BS kinda answer ;)

That's exactly what I told him. He seemed happy with that answer, too :)

You guys were right about the "social" interview part. He didn't ask me any techie questions but rather it was "let me get to know you better" kind of conversations. We talked about the job and what would be expected of me and how my past experiences could help me in some aspects. Actually all the past experiences I brought up myself because it was the only thing I could think of at the time but he seemed satisfied with what I've told him. Thanks for your help, sambuca69!
  • Options
    Hi guys,

I was just wondering how long do you guys usually wait for an potential employer to contact you before you call them up with a follow up? Thanks.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd give them a little time, but I'd contact them sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    I got it! I will start working with them after the holidays. This is so amazing and I'm just so happy that finally it worked out.

One thing that I'm a little worried about is that I'll be working an evening shift and most of the time there won't be anyone who I can call for help. I hope I do well.

Thank you so much everyone for all of your help. I REALLY appreciate it.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got it! I will start working with them after the holidays. This is so amazing and I'm just so happy that finally it worked out.

One thing that I'm a little worried about is that I'll be working an evening shift and most of the time there won't be anyone who I can call for help. I hope I do well.

Good Luck! I wouldn't worry about it, they will train you :)
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222

I'm so happy to see you land a new job. I love when stories like this have a happy ending, and companies lose out for jerking around a good employee. CONGRATULATIONS! You've earned it.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Congrats fella, dont sweat about being on your own, take it as the next learning step icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.