Options

Will Google Chrome Laptops be....

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Will Chrome netbooks really be competitive? | Laptops and Desktops | ZDNet.com

What would be the value in using a machine that is basically designed to get you to the internet quickly? There are motherboards with linux built in to help you get online/check email/browse for a minute but they do not expect you to live in that world forever.

IDK about this one. Google/Gmail/Gvoice have changed the game in terms of functionality or purpose but this seems like a simply ploy to get rid of Windows/*nix/Mac.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I don't know, I'm not particularly interested in one. Already have Android on my phone and while I enjoy it thoroughly I can't see having it on a netbook adding much of anything for me. I'd rather have some Linux distro or Windows 7.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only if they sold it for half the price. That way i could get it and replace the OS.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't even see the value in any sort of a Netbook to be honest. I own a Lenovo S10e, it sits in it's case and I never carry it around anywhere or use it - haven't in the last several months at least. I have grown to really dislike Netbooks due to the industry I work in. I work at a real estate firm, and as a result most of our agents purchase their own equipment that we end up supporting. Netbooks are awful because people see the size and price and think they found the holy grail of portable computing. They (my user base) buy them and think they are going to perform great for performing their work but they really are not designed for what many of them use and suffer as a result.

Now if a Netbook is used for it's intended purposes, web browser and e-mail access for the most part, they do well. The reason I don't use mine and why many of my friends who have them don't use them is because they typically always have their regular notebook with them. Flipping open a Netbook with any OS on it isn't really going to be any quicker than flipping open my Windows notebook or my MacBook that is hibernating. For this reason I really never use my Netbook, I should probably try to sell it quick before it's worth nothing since the market seems to be flooded with offers.

That's just my $.02, I'm probably not one of the target demographic for your typical Netbook though since I demand more power for my portable computing needs and it doesn't make sense to carry two devices around in my car. I'm sure they will be competitive though, Google is well known by a lot of consumers so I'm sure the name recognition will help out a good bit.