Sans GSEC

todmanavtodmanav Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anybody preparing for SANS GSEC, any comments, suggestions / pointers to preparation methods etc is highly appreciated.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might take a stab at it only because it's a prerequisite for the GSE, which I'm setting as a long-term goal.

Are you planning on taking the course/self-study, or are you going to try and challenge it?
  • todmanavtodmanav Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For a number of reasons especially because of the cost, I am taking the self study route, infact Im scavenging / dumpster diving the web for any information I could get about the study materials. How abt u?
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    dynamik wrote: »
    I might take a stab at it only because it's a prerequisite for the GSE, which I'm setting as a long-term goal.

Are you planning on taking the course/self-study, or are you going to try and challenge it?

GIAC updated the GSE requirements (GIAC Security Expert (GSE)). You no longer need to have just the GSEC, GCIH, and GCIA with two gold papers. You can mix and match, but it appears that any mixing and matching would be more expensive, unless you all ready have some of the other certs.

I'm considering GSEC after my GCIA (to get closer to the GSE), but that also means buckling down, writing some gold papers while going to school.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
    Yea I know, but I'd have to do GCUX and GCWN in place of that, so that really doesn't help me out too much. 15 months from now, I want to have GSEC, GCFW, GPEN, GCIA, and GCIH. Then I'll have six months or so to study for the GSE icon_eek.gif
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yea I know, but I'd have to do GCUX and GCWN in place of that, so that really doesn't help me out too much. 15 months from now, I want to have GSEC, GCFW, GPEN, GCIA, and GCIH. Then I'll have six months or so to study for the GSE icon_eek.gif

I'd like to join you on the GSE list but I've got another masters planned for 2010. Hopefully i can sneak GCIH or GSEC in though through challenges.
    Could anybody give me any pointers to the latest study materials for GSEC, Please any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a ton!
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    todmanav wrote: »
    Could anybody give me any pointers to the latest study materials for GSEC, Please any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

SANS SelfStudy

Here would be a good place to look!
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
    broc wrote: »
    SANS SelfStudy

Here would be a good place to look!

Thanks bro! I really wish I had the spare money to buy the materials. Anybody kind enough to share their GSEC study materials with me. I really wish to add +1 to the 28,412 ppl who completed the exam. Any kind soul out there to help me with the materials???
    Just go over the objects and brush up on them. Buy a Windows security book, buy a Linux security book, and so on for the other objectives. You can challenge for $900, which will give you two practice exams to guide on you areas you need to work on. You can retake for $200. It's no cheap, but you can fail a lot before you hit the $3500 icon_lol.gif

I say that semi-seriously; that might be my plan-of-attack for some of these.