Options

client machines Unable to access Internet

KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

On my network, clients are not able to access the internet, only the server is.

This is a new setup and the internet hasnt worked on it before, so it is probably due to my overlooking something or misunderstanding a networking concept.

I've got a Win2k3 srvr running ISA2004, and 2 or 3 clients (XP, Vista etc). The server has 1 NIC (actually, it has 2 but i disabled one of them because i dont think i need it - but i wouldnt be surprised if i am proven wrong here), and it connects to the internet thru an ADSL modem/router which is configured to use bridge mode, and i have a PPPoE dialer configured on the server which dials thru to the ISP.

The internal (enabled) NIC has the following settings:
IP Address: 192.168.1.5
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: (blank)

After i invoke the dialer, the server gets a PPP connection with the following details:

PPP adapter TestConnection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 60.x.x.47
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 60.x.x.47
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.x.x.35
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

(please note, the IP and the Default Gateway for the PPP connection are the same)

The client machines are set up like this:
IP Address: 192.168.1.20
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
d/gateway: 192.168.1.5

All the client machines are able to ping one another (server can ping clients, clients can ping server etc) but when i invoke the PPPoE dialer on the server (and it connects to the ISP), only the server is able to access the internet - and not the clients.

I would have thought that this would allow the clients to connect to the internet but obviously i was mistaken.

Can anyone point out what i am doing wrong?

Thanks,
K

Comments

• Options
    mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
    You have to Configure Proxy settings ip address of ISA server, port 8080 on clients using
    Group Policty -> User Configuration -> Windows Settings ->
    Internet Explorer Maintenance -> Connection -> Proxy Settings

Configuring ISA Server Interface Settings.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply...

Do you think that is the cause of the problem? I'm happy to try that (although i think i already have)...

The settings on isaserver.org link posted above are for a layer 3 connection arent they? I'm using a layer 2 connection - so wouldnt that mean that i dont need to configure an external interface and that i can get by with just the Internal interface and the PPP connection?

Do i need to have 2 NIC's in the setup i described or does 1 NIC suffice? If 1 NIC does suffice, i presume i am configuring that the same as the "South" facing NIC that is described in the isaserver.org article.... is that correct?
  • Options
    mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
    if you want ISA server work only as a proxy server you need 1 NIC , second one you will need when u decide use ISA server also as a firewall, I think if you configure proxy settings client side it should work anyway let me know if didn't work
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. I got it working based on your advice - i had previously configured it correctly but made a few changes that i had forgotten about.

Retracing my steps and going through the article helped me identify the issue.

As for setting the ISA up as a firewall - that is definately what i want to do. With the current set up, does that mean it will only work as a proxy - i.e it wont block any content etc?

I wanted to set up 2 NICS on the server, but i contacted by ISP and they said they do not support layer 3 connections - only layer 2 (but i do have a static IP which i have onhand). How can i set my server up with an Internal and External NIC if my ISP doesnt support layer 3 connections?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Most likely what they mean by support is that they will not give you support if anything goes wrong. It's like that with most ISPs. You call them say you are having an issue, they find out you have a Linksys router they tell you to unplug it and plug the computer into the cable modem directly. If it works, "Thank you and have a nice day. We cannot support the router."

I used ISA for months on my Time Warner Cable Internet. I only took it down after my wife complained too much about me blocking sites. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I dont think they meant that its just for support.

I asked them for my WAN settings and i was expecting they would give me the external (static) IP, Default gateway and subnet mask.... they said they dont do layer 3 connections anymore and have not done them for the past 2 years.

With that in mind... anyone have any idea of how i can set it up if i cant configure my external NIC with the internet facing IP?