Options

Best area for short term contracting (3-6mo)

7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
My family and I are interested in moving overseas to where my wife is from. The cost of living is lower there, but I would have basically no employment opportunities. Finding a job here that would allow me to telecommute from there would be ideal, but seems unlikely. So, I was thinking another route would be to find short term contract jobs that pay pretty well so I could sort of cycle back and forth between working here a few months and then living there for awhile.

So, is there one area that would be the best to focus on if I'm looking for that kind of work? My first thought would be to networking, because it would seem like companies would be fairly likely to contract out for the initial setup or expansion of a network.

Anybody do lots of contract work and want to advise me which way to look?

Comments

• Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    7lowe wrote: »
    My family and I are interested in moving overseas to where my wife is from. The cost of living is lower there, but I would have basically no employment opportunities. Finding a job here that would allow me to telecommute from there would be ideal, but seems unlikely. So, I was thinking another route would be to find short term contract jobs that pay pretty well so I could sort of cycle back and forth between working here a few months and then living there for awhile.

So, is there one area that would be the best to focus on if I'm looking for that kind of work? My first thought would be to networking, because it would seem like companies would be fairly likely to contract out for the initial setup or expansion of a network.

Anybody do lots of contract work and want to advise me which way to look?

ATCO Frontenac - http://www.atcocareers.com/SearchPostings.aspx?locationvalue=International .
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    7lowe wrote: »
    ...but I would have basically no employment opportunities...

Because your not a citizen of the country, or because there are no IT jobs?
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you mention which country and what area of that country someone from this board might be of more help.
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The country is The Philippines.

It's near impossible to find for a non-citizen to find a job with a local company. Occasionally US companies have jobs that are based out of there. But, I figured my best shot would be:

1. US job that allows telecommuting
    2. Come back to the US and work on a contract for 6 months or so (or work on a contract overseas somewhere)
    3. Figure out some sort of online business I could do from over there (a friend of mine is a photographer over there and supports himself via his website licensing and selling his images and also doing Google ads on his site)