CCENT Time!

PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
I am starting the CCENT. I bought the Wendell Odom book. We have some old 2600 routers at work and some old HP 2650 switches. Would these work alright for a lab?

I am interested in the security side. I already have Security+, the 299.

My plan is to do the CCENT>CCNA>CCNA:Security

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I am starting the CCENT. I bought the Wendell Odom book. We have some old 2600 routers at work and some old HP 2650 switches. Would these work alright for a lab?

Idk about the CCENT (what it goes over) but I think you should try to get at least 1 cisco switch (so you can do VTP/STP/SWITCHPORT SECURITY commands from the cisco side). If the routers are at least on 12.2 I think you *may be ok but really a slightly newer router would be best.

Alternatively you could use Packet Tracer, but you need to be in a cisco netcad to get it....legally.
  • thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    Psoasman wrote: »

Good Luck I am due to sit my exam within the next week

Packet tracer would be fine for ccna and I believe security with 5.2 it's just with ccnp and other you need to have real routers or that other program that emulates them.

I would recommend getting the exam cram and cisco press for your studies as well as cbt nuggets