Options

Weird VPN Issues

undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
We have a client using PPTP to a RAS at the office from his home. He has a problem where randomly he will not be able to contact clients on the network i.e. 192.168.0.20 suddenly will not respond to any requests anymore, including ping, but 192.168.0.18 and .15 still work just fine, but then later on .18 and .15 stop working but .20 is working again. But if you attempt to contact the non-working one from a working one i.e. .15 rdp over to .20, then that works just fine. There doesn't seem to be a set pattern to it. I haven't been able to replicate the problem from anywhere else. I'm pretty sure it is not a server problem because the server has been replaced in a migration from 2003 to 2008. Client is not using a router at his house, he's connected directly to the modem and is pulling a public ip. I didn't see anything weird with his routing table, though I'm not an expert in that domain. One weird thing though was that he didn't seem to have an arp cache as arp -a listed nothing.

So ... any ideas on this one? I'm drawing a blank other than replacing his modem. It happens with two computers at his place as well, if he switches the cable from one to the other.
Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/

Comments

• Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Are you using a 192.168.x.x IP on the VPN LAN?

*edit
    After re-reading what you posted, I see that you are using a 192.168.x.x IP range for the VPN IP. I've had nothing but routing issues with 192.168.x.x as the VPN IP range. I changed to 10.x.x.x and it's been smooth sailing.

As for your issue, if he's connected directly to the modem I would say it's more of a virus issue that is causing it.