Options

Fresh grad, low job offer.. need advice.

2»

Comments

• Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    Personally, based on your situation, I'd take it. You've stated that you could still live based on that salary. The big boss said most people started out in that job and were promoted/made more money quickly, which along with the fast growth in that company are great signs, especially with the economy how it is. Plus, experience trumps your degree and certs just about everytime, 99.9%. Being young, having your degree, and getting some experience with a company you seem to like, and is obviously doing things the right way (any company that hires advanced positions mostly from within is good in my book), is a job you should take. Don't focus on the salary right now, focus on the opportunity.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just another example why you need certs in this industry. Degrees dont do much for this field of work and now you probably owe a lot of money in school loans...

oh yeah , and to answer your question. YES! always put your current job title in the resume.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Just another example why you need certs in this industry. Degrees dont do much for this field of work and now you probably owe a lot of money in school loans...

oh yeah , and to answer your question. YES! always put your current job title in the resume.

Just another example that certs or a degree with no experience in a poor economy means its harder to find entry level positions.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    chrisone wrote: »
    Degrees dont do much for this field of work and now you probably owe a lot of money in school loans...

I kinda disagree.

They may not do much as in validating your knowledge in certain technologies/standards, however ALOT more doors open up for you with a degree. Many companies and government entities absolutely will not even consider a candidate for some positions without a 4 year degree, regardless of certifications.

Sucks? Yep. Seems almost like they require it, just to require it. But to say degrees don't do much for this field is a bit of a overstatement in my opinion.

I think most of the seasoned vets here seem to agree that:

Experience > Degree > Certs

Certifications validate (or should validate) your knowledge with a certain technology.

A degree validates your ability to learn, stick with long term planning, etc. It opens up alot of doors for you.

But, experience does trump all.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have some advice for you.

You need not care at all about your loyalty to any company. They will never be loyal to you. Don't delude yourself. They would let you go in a heartbeat if they felt like it. Having said that, the right thing to do is: Get involved with good projects when you can, and use this place as a vehicle towards a certification or two.

As quickly as you can, become an authority on *something* in this environment. Be the person they come to for help. Its easier than you think. IT in America is littered with people who just want to leave at 4PM and will open tickets with vendors on literally everything. Don't be that person. This will increase the chance that you get better projects.

In a year or two... after some projects under your belt, and a certifcation or two and with some semblance of technical authority, then start interviewing again. And when they tell you for the third year in a row that there just isn't the budget for bonuses or raises, kindly let them know you are leaving for a better paying job. It helps to have one in queue for real.

Don't get invested in the corporate hype wherever you are at. Companies are stepping stones. Hey... they think you are an expendable tool. Believe me.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ccie15672 wrote: »

You need not care at all about your loyalty to any company. They will never be loyal to you. Don't delude yourself. They would let you go in a heartbeat if they felt like it. Having said that, the right thing to do is: Get involved with good projects when you can, and use this place as a vehicle towards a certification or two.

As quickly as you can, become an authority on *something* in this environment. Be the person they come to for help. Its easier than you think. IT in America is littered with people who just want to leave at 4PM and will open tickets with vendors on literally everything. Don't be that person. This will increase the chance that you get better projects.

In a year or two... after some projects under your belt, and a certifcation or two and with some semblance of technical authority, then start interviewing again. And when they tell you for the third year in a row that there just isn't the budget for bonuses or raises, kindly let them know you are leaving for a better paying job. It helps to have one in queue for real.

Don't get invested in the corporate hype wherever you are at. Companies are stepping stones. Hey... they think you are an expendable tool. Believe me.

Derek is right on several levels. The American dream of working your ass off for a company and being looked after for life is dead in the water. Companies are run by pie charts and they are usually always looking for ways to eliminate headcount. That means your job. You should seek to become an authority on something by seeking challenging, important and useful work you can get stuck into to become the goto guy both there and elsewhere when you move on. Avoid the herd mentality of easy riders doing a few tickets and checking facebook, many of these people will be on welfare in the years ahead.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Scimming through this post, Aldur had the best suggestion.

I'm glad you took the job. As Aldur said, you should take advantage of them as they are taking advantage of you. You build on your skills as quick as possible then leave when you have a great skill set built up that you can impress in future interviews... Then start that exciting first system administrator job!

I lived with my parents when I had my first IT job... It paid 7.15 an hour... I left there to go up to 10 dollars an hour at a NOC.

However I basically started IT in 2004... Being 2010 now, in 6 years I started making the big bucks. It was worth that 7.15 an hour investment! :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Fully agree with this. Right now, my company is getting me for very very cheap. I'd be embarrased to disclose my salary, but let's say it's not what a network engineer should be making. But, this experience will be valuable to put on my resume. And since I work nights, I get alot of free time to study. When they ask for volunteer, I'm usually one of the first ones to step up. So they know who I am, and they know what I do (and I have saved the companies collective bacon on more than one occasion).

With all that being said, a couple years down the road (assuming I'm still with them, which isn't a safe assumption for anyone these days) when I complete my CCIE, I'm going to have a nice polite conversation with the powers that be about the big raise they'll be giving me. And after they tell me to <bleep> off, I'll find another job paying at least close to what I should be making. For the most part, I like my company, and I love the people there that I work with, but they are *really* stingy when it comes to salary. I won't feel badly about using them as a stepping stone on my career path, because they're getting some good work on the cheap out of me in the meantime.
  • Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Hi Forsaken, where in Georgia are you located?
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262

Agree here 100%.
    Avoid the herd mentality of easy riders doing a few tickets and checking facebook, many of these people will be on welfare in the years ahead.

haha
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    not to reiterate the obvious....but take the job....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)