Options

New MS exams and the command line (specifically 70-642)

valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I have a question for any of you guys that have taken some of the new wind2k8 exams. How much command line is on the exam and how much memorizing of commands do you think is necessary. Supposedly you can do everything via CLI/powershell now days and I wonder if MS is going to test that knowledge specifically.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the 08 exams just after they went live. I do not recall a lot of CLI on any of the exams. Maybe there was a question here or there. What I suggest is that if you have a test prep software be familiar with the commands that appear as both correct and incorrect answers in the practice tests.

For example if you have a question asking about reseting winsock settings and which CLI program to use and your options are NETSH, NET, NETDOM, and CSVDE I would know and understand the basics of each of these, even though to my knowledge only NETSH allows you to reset the winsock catalog.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    One of the best things you can do is key in on the commands mentioned in the text and then boot up a lab server and just run those commands with the /? switch to see what other switches are available, and what they do.

Also google syntax for those commands and get an understanding of how the commands are laid out.
  • Options
    valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    One of the best things you can do is key in on the commands mentioned in the text and then boot up a lab server and just run those commands with the /? switch to see what other switches are available, and what they do.

Also google syntax for those commands and get an understanding of how the commands are laid out.

Yeah, finding information about commands isn't a big deal... its retaining it that is the problem. Sounds like I'll be fine though. Thanks for the replies
  • Options
    GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It has to be said I didn't get many CLI questions - I think you need to make sure you know what each command is for and try to be able to recognise the "style" of the parameters so you know which ones are blatantly out of place.