Options

Server2003 Down Need Help

ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
So yesterday my servers NIC decided to take a crap. Because of this my entire internet is down through my house. My server was doing normal DHCP,DNS and AD stuff.

So here is my question. My server was at 192.168.1.119
Is there any way i can use my VMServer and have that give ip address through my Cisco Gear. For some reason i have not gotten it to work yet and my machines are getting the normal no DHCP server available with the 169.254.x.x address.

My laptop is running my VMware and i was going to connect my laptop to the Cisco siwtch that way.

I already ordered a new NIC so i am just trying to remedy my situation for a few days.

Tried all the settings under vmware host bridge etc etc but with no luck
CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
Cisco CCENT In Progress
MCP Server 291 In Progress
C|EH In Progress

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would try setting up a few hosts statically to see if there is any connectivity between your servers. If there is, check to see that the DHCP server is seeing DHCPDiscover messages. Are you up and running with AD again yet?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just add a new DHCP/DNS server. It doesn't matter what IP the original was at. Just have the DHCP server provide the IP of the new DNS server as well (probably itself in this case).
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    ULWiz wrote: »
    So yesterday my servers NIC decided to take a crap. Because of this my entire internet is down through my house.

I keep one of these around for that very reason. I have used it more often at work, either to give people access to multiple networks, or to band-aid a bad NIC.

TRENDnet USB 2.0 to 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter and other Network Hubs at CDW.com

You can probably pick one up at a brick store somewhere locally also. Its a good tool to have around...kind of like an external HD enclosure. Just one of those tools that are always handy.