Options

Need to demote non-global catalog domain controller

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
In our domain we have three sites with a dc at each site. Only 2 of the 3 dc's are gc's. I need to demote the dc that is not a gc to a basic file server. Aside from just running dcpromo, are there any precautions or best practices that I need to be aware of? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Make sure your FSMO roles are running on another system. Make sure it won't break DNS if you're using AD integrated DNS. Also, make sure you have a backup of any certificates the DC is using.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cool. FSMO roles are running on one of the other servers and there isnt anything for this dc to resolve for dns since the office is now empty. Thanks.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that should be pretty straight forward then.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Make sure you save some links to the procedures for cleaning metadata from AD after a failed DC demotion (incase it happens)
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    If you have multiple domains, you would in this case review the recommendation that a GC should not be the Infrastructure Master FSMO role holder and ensure your procedure wouldn't result in that unless you were going to have all DC's be GCs.

Infrastructure Master's should never be GCs unless it's a single domain or all DC's forest wide are GCs, as it causes replication issues.
    Good luck to all!