Options

Port Forwarding from ADSL Router to ISA Server

KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

This is the 3rd or 4th thread i've created which is ISA related. The reason for this is im getting my hands dirty and experimenting with a few different setups and getting my head around it all...

Anyways - What i'm working on now is a lab which has an ISA2004 Server with 2 NICS - 1 internal and 1 external, sitting behind an ADSL Modem/Router.

My question is - how do i go about forwarding packets from the router to the ISA Box? I've read several different things and it confused me more than it has helped me. Some suggestions said to create a normal port forward rule for each required protocol (but wouldnt that mean i will be creating a sh!tload of rules?) and others said to just forward all packets from the router to the ISA Server.....

What do i need to do? Any tips? What is the best way to configure the Modem/Router and also the ISA Box?

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, you can create one rule and allow many protocols with it. I would set the modem to forward everything to the ISA box and let it sort out the rest. Are you hosting a web server, terminal services, or anything that you want to be publicly accessible on the client machines?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on the ADSL/router that you have and what do you want to do.
    Some ADLSs will have and option to put the ISA in a DMZ and let you forward anything it gets to de ISA.
    Other thing you can do, is just forward the services you need to use, let say port 80 to use webserver. This way you are protecting your ISA from the outside world because any attack other that port 80, the ADSL will reject it.
    Other thing you can do is put your ADSL in bridge mode, in this mode you are going to receive the public IP address in your ISA. This is usefull to avoid problems with NAT and some services, but the drawback is that you have to patch and configure really well your ISA or you are going to be hacked.

What are you trying to accomplish?