Options

On to MCSE?

ian gian g Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just finished up my MCSA by passing Security+ a couple of days ago. Now I'm wondering if going for MCSE is worth it.
I'm not in IT just now, as a matter of fact I've been working as an aircraft maintenance technician for the past 13 years and I want to get out. There's plenty of stuff posted about the merits of trying to break into the IT field (mostly negative), and I'm not going to ask about that here. My question is: With no experience in the industry, would anyone even care if I have an MCSE? It seems like I'll be starting at the very bottom of the ladder no matter what I have on paper (that was easy to do 14 years ago - a lot harder now with the wife and kids...)
I'd like to get the cert because it has always been an ambition of mine. However, I don't want to waste my time if nobody is going to look at it.
On paper so far: AAS in CIS -networking, MCSA, CCNA, Sec+

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The MCSE/CCNA combo is great at getting noticed. 293 has a lot of overlap with 291, and then you just have 294 and a design exam (which is essentially just material you've already gone over in a different format). I think it'd be a shame to stop now. You'll definitely have to start lower on the totem pole, but you might be able to skip the bottom rung.
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    I agree too, you should definitely keep going. I'm pretty sure a 2003 MCSE cert is in bigger demand than the MCITP: EA cert right now. Even without experience, a 2003 MCSE is a well worth getting. It may not get you the Systems Engineer position initially, but should definitely get you a job as a Jr. Systems Admin or Windows Server admin position. I know of 2 people that got their 2003 MCSE with only a couple months experience (help desk experience) and got a Jr. Systems admin job, one paying $28/hr and the other paying them 45k salary per year. I understand you may have made more as an aircraft technician but with experience that income will sky rocket. There are Systems Administrator positions right now in my local job market that require a 2003 MCSE plus 3-5 years experience paying 85k per year. I guess what I'm saying is, it's really hard to get into network administration without previous experience or having a big certification like a 2003 MCSE. You can work as a help desk agent, desktop support tech, or a pc tech for 20 years, but that experience will never qualify one for a Systems admin/engineer position. IT Employers are picky these days. There are some companies where you can be promoted and move up without certifications, but generally that never happens. And as competitive as the market is right now I'd say go for it. The certification is what's gonna drive you there. So go get that MCSE! That's what I'm aiming for. Hope that helps :D.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    ian gian g Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You guys are the best! Thanks for the positive feedback. I just ordered the book for 70-293. Onwards and upwards!