Options

How much most will a degree make you?

Does anyone have some figures on how much for a degree will get you?

IE. I know some employers pay for the degree, has anyone here made $X more at the same place just by having a degree?

Or have you had a job that didn't required a degree and then got your degree and switched to a job that did and make $X more at the new job.

TIA

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I also place value not just in income but will it make it easier for me to get interviews/offers.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I also place value not just in income but will it make it easier for me to get interviews/offers.

That is very true tpatt! Many large organizations will not entertain the resume of candidates without a 4 year degree. I know one hiring manager @ Lockheed could not offer me a contract a while back since I did not have my 4 year degree completed at the time. Shame the position isn't available now...
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    My degree cost me about 50K. And it was worth every penny, and i made 2x that a yr for life. It's an investment on yourself. You can't go wrong. btw...whats snortcp. I"m familiar with with the snort app. Are they related?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cdad2000 wrote: »
    My degree cost me about 50K. And it was worth every penny, and i made 2x that a yr for life. It's an investment on yourself. You can't go wrong. btw...whats snortcp. I"m familiar with with the snort app. Are they related?

Sourcefire Network Security - Education Services
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I'll have to go with the crowd on this one and say it's definitely worth picking up a bachelors. It may be hard to correlate your earnings before and after a 4 year degree but like others have stated it opens up many doors that would have not been available to you before.

For example my current position with Juniper and immigrating up to Canada. Right when I was getting this job I was finishing up my BSCS degree and if I didn't have my Bachelors then the Canadian gov't wouldn't have let me come up here to do this job.

It's a strange thing to have a company say no problem but have a gov't put the breaks on things.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender