Options

Sharepoint Permission Headache

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I am using Sharpoint v3 and need to setup some people to use Document Control, now what i need is this:

User = Read permissions to be able to upload a doc.
Manager = To be able to Approve the Doc from a technical point of view.
Document Control Person = To Approve Final Version.

This is how this company currently does document control, but i have noticed that even if your in the document control group, you are unable to view any docs that have been uploaded!! I need a solution whereby the managers and Document Controllers (x2 users) can view all files that have been uploaded without giving them FC. Any Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Site Settings > Users and Permissions > Advanced Permissions >
    (under Settings) Permission Levels > Add a Permissions Level

Create a role with onlly the permissions you need.
  • Options
    Hi Robert, many thanks for the reply, after playing around with the permissions i am still no closer to what i want to achieve.

Let me shed some light on whay i am trying to do.

On my sharepoint site i have created various sites i,e Finance, Engineering, Procurement, Health & Safety etc, etc. So what i need to do now is :

User able to upload docs to in their respective sites (no problem) then email their manager to approve the docs from a technical perspective.

Manager goes to respective site and sees documents and approves them, then emails Quality Control for final approvement (all this time the document is not published)

Document Control (x2 users) Finally goes to respective site in order to approve doc so all can see.

This procedure is how this company wants to use document control through sharepoint.

Any ideas Please?
  • Options
    Ok, I thought your original question was about permissions.

You need to enable content approval and document versioning (create major and minor versions) and require that documents be checked out when they are edited. You would then use SPD 2007 to create a workflow for the approval process. I would create a document library for unapproved documents. For example in our "Process Improvement" site we have a library called Pro_Imprv_Submissions. Users upload their files here. A workflow is kicked off that notifies the ISO team. One of the ISO team members looks at the document and selects either "Rejected" or "Approved." If the document is rejected an email is sent to the person who submitted it telling them they need to make changes. If it is changed to Approved it is then moved to the production library by the workflow. Only members of the ISO document change management team have access to edit files in that library. Then you would create the permission role as I described in my forst post to allow approval.

I suggest you take a look at this article:
    Document Approval Process in WSS3.0/MOSS 2007 ConfigLabs
  • Options
    Question: If i created a workflow using the 2007 SHarepoint Designer, would the workflow work in sharepoint 2003? Also Robert, any chance of sending you a private message for additional help on this?
  • Options
    I would say almost probably not. I have not worked with SP Portal 2003 since 2006, so I am as rusty on that as I possibly could be. So if we are not talking WSS 3.0 or MOSS here, I may not be much help.

Feel free to message me or shoot me an email.