Options

What is NBMA Network

ratneshnagoriratneshnagori Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I have started BSCI studies and going through OSPF Topology Options.

I am confused that what is NBMA Network. I got the big picture but I am still not comfortable with this.

Can anybody please help me to understand NBMA.

Thanks in advance
Ratnesh
Ratnesh

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    What is your current understanding of it?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi,
    I have started BSCI studies and going through OSPF Topology Options.

I am confused that what is NBMA Network. I got the big picture but I am still not comfortable with this.

Can anybody please help me to understand NBMA.

Thanks in advance
    Ratnesh

Nonbroadcast multiple-access network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this is a very good high level basic view. I am sure Colby will go into much better detail.

Edit: Think frame-relay.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Non-broadcast Multi-access. Definitely sounds like your on the OSPF section possibly. I am in my BSCI studies as well and OSPF is a "BIG" area of the BSCI and CCNP. I have heard it is a huge topic for the CCIE as well. A good example (correct me if I am wrong) is Frame relay. I attached an example to show you the non-broadcast statement when I run the command "show ip ospf interface type"

I hope this helps you out. Good luck on your BSCI studies, let me know if you have any questions I'll help in any way that I can.
  • Options
    Thanks for response ColbyNA and knwminus

Hi Billscothh92787,
    Yes I am on OSPF. Its really a very big topic. Yes, Frame Relay is eg of NBMA.

Thanks for ur good and luck and I wish u the same

Ratnesh
    Ratnesh
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Thanks for response ColbyNA and knwminus

Hi Billscothh92787,
    Yes I am on OSPF. Its really a very big topic. Yes, Frame Relay is eg of NBMA.

Thanks for ur good and luck and I wish u the same

Ratnesh

Yeah it definitely is a big topic. Some of it covers some stuff that we seen in the CCNA. But, it does definitely build on it with things like Stub, Total Stub, Not So Stub, summary-address, range command, we didn't really get much route summarization with OSPF in the CCNA. But, there definitely is a lot more in BSCI, as well as redistribution. If you need any help or have any questions let me know I'll help you out in any way that I can. When do you plan to take the exam?
  • Options
    Hi Billscothh92787,
    Thanks for the response.
    I will really appreciate ur help & suggestions.
    I am planning to give exam in January 2010

Ratnesh
    Ratnesh
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Nonbroadcast multiple-access network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this is a very good high level basic view. I am sure Colby will go into much better detail.

Edit: Think frame-relay.

And ATM.
  • Options
    yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    NBMA is simply what it says.

Non-Broadcast being the key phrase.

As with ATM and Frame-Relay, these are multi access networks in which you can have full/partial mesh topologies. However a frame-relay or ATM switch does not have the logic to flood traffic the way a Ethernet switch does( exampe: a frame relay switch wouldn't know what to do with an "unknown" DLCI, and has no concept of multicast. For broadcast traffic your multi-point interface must generate the frames for each virtual circuit.